What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad owner. What's this black area on screen?

sallywil007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is the first Apple product I've ever owned, since I started out with PCs. I'm finding it hard to adjust to the difference. My present problem is with apps...mainly installing them. I've (tried to) install an eBook reader and (tried to) install the Facebook app. Both times, when I pressed the "install app" button, a hazy light black square displayed on the screen. Is this the Apple equivalent of Windows' hourglass or revolving circle indicating that something is happening?

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you install an app from the appstore, a password box should appear asking you to confirm your apple ID password. Have you set up your iPad using your PC or laptop?

OP
S

sallywil007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I haven't set up my iPadusing my computer. My computer is a PC, and I don't have a clue how to set up the iPad using it, or by using any other method.

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sallywil007 said:
No, I haven't set up my iPadusing my computer. My computer is a PC, and I don't have a clue how to set up the iPad using it, or by using any other method.

When you set up a new iDevice, you must connect it to a computer or laptop so you can connect to the iTunes program. This updates software onto your device. Perhaps this is the cause of your problem, or did they do it for you in store?

OP
S

sallywil007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought this iPad on eBay, so, no, it hasn't been set up for anything on any machine. Can I set it up using a PC, or do I have to use a Mac to do it? And what steps do I take to set it up?

AvaMoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sallywil007 said:
I bought this iPad on eBay, so, no, it hasn't been set up for anything on any machine. Can I set it up using a PC, or do I have to use a Mac to do it? And what steps do I take to set it up?

Did you buy it new and sealed from ebay? if you did then you can connect to your PC using the USB cable and connect to itunes, this will start the initial setup. If it was a used or unsealed ipad, then perhaps the setup has already been completed. It's always worth connecting to itunes though, with a device that is new to you. It will check for any updates, back-up files etc.

jmbarker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad works with Mac and with Windows PCs. You need to install iTunes on your PC if it is not already installed then open it up so it is running, then connect the iPad to your PC with the 30-pin connector cord that should have come with the iPad (it has a USB connector on the other end. iTunes will recognize the iPad. Follow the onscreen messages to set the iPad up.

OP
S

sallywil007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. The iPad was used. I have iTunes installed on my laptop. I ordered a USB connection cable a couple of days ago and will set up the iPad when it gets here.

jmbarker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be sure the cable you ordered as the iPad/iPhone 30-pin connector on one end and USB on the other. Do not know where you live but you can get the cable at an Apple store or at an AT&T and or Verizon store. Most malls have kiosks that sell all kinds of iPad/iPhone accessories too.

OP
S

sallywil007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in north Georgia 2 hrs from Atlanta and 2 hrs from Asheville, NC, so online's the best option for me. When I next visit Asheville, I plan to visit an Apple store just to see what's available.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the club Sally. I bought my iPad a couple years ago after a long series of windows-based computers and smart phones. It took about a week or so before I got the complete hang of it. As much as I hate Apple.inc, their devices are extremely user friendly once you get the basic concept.
Now all the other guys have done a great job answering but I'll throw in my two cent worth :)
the little black square that appears on the desktop is the icon that indicates a new app is in order to be downloaded (if I got you right, you were talking about a little black square that shows up right after the already installed apps). However, I'd have to agree with the guys that since you didn't get a box asking for a password then you can't be downloading. I'm inclined to think the iPad is set up under the previous owner iTunes account and thus you can access the app store but I don't think you are actually communicating properly (probably the previous owner kept his account but unauthorized this particular iPad).
Here is my suggestion for something you can do till you receive your new cable:
Go to Settings >>>>
Scroll down on the left hand and click on Store >>>>
On the right hand it will show you some options (or not) but at the bottom of the right hand area you will see Apple ID and a name or blank:
- if there's a name then click it, a new window will open, click sign out then sign in by creating a new apple ID
- If no name then just sign in by creating a new Apple ID

The process of making a new apple ID should take like 3 minutes but make sure you remember it, this will be your ID for any transaction or communication with Apple and subsidiaries.
Alternatively, you can create an iTunes account from your computer (with OUT connecting the iPad to it). Check out: support.apple.com/kb/ht2731 for instructions.
NOTE (please anyone correct me if I'm mistaken), if you set up an apple account from your iPad you will be required to input a credit card number but if from a laptop you will have an option to bypass this (at least that was when I helped a friend set up his account a couple years ago).

After creating your iTunes account you can use the steps I mentioned above to log into the store.
After that, just start up the app market and download to your heart's content :)
Now with this long post it may look complicated but just last night I helped my sister set up her new iPad and it took around 10 mins for the whole deal.
Hope this helps... Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts