What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad voice over activated then screen went black

pizzicatto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help!

1. I set my iPad to voice over function. I set the speed but then it was fast. So I pressed the icon for speed and it won't work.

2. Suddenly, the screen went black.

3. Then, Each time I rebooted, the apple icon would light which seemed ok.

4. But I tried to slide the screen to put on my pass code, the screen just turns dark.

5. And the voice over keeps on saying the time and date and all previous activities of my iPad: Facebook activities, text received, etc.

6. Apple tech is available tomorrow afternoon, Monday, Sept. 23rd. I need my iPad soonest. Help!

7. When I turn on Siri, this command works.

8. My iPad had been crashing a multitude of times since the IO7 update. Can anyone rescue my iPad?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Best,

Pizzicato

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Help! 1. I set my iPad to voice over function. I set the speed but then it was fast. So I pressed the icon for speed and it won't work. 2. Suddenly, the screen went black. 3. Then, Each time I rebooted, the apple icon would light which seemed ok. 4. But I tried to slide the screen to put on my pass code, the screen just turns dark. 5. And the voice over keeps on saying the time and date and all previous activities of my iPad: Facebook activities, text received, etc. 6. Apple tech is available tomorrow afternoon, Monday, Sept. 23rd. I need my iPad soonest. Help! 7. When I turn on Siri, this command works. 8. My iPad had been crashing a multitude of times since the IO7 update. Can anyone rescue my iPad? Thanks for the help!!!!!! Best, Pizzicato
With Voice Over, your iPad will react different.

To unlock the screen, press either Home or Power button, then swipe to select the Unlock slide, and double tap the screen. If you have Passcode Lock enabled, enter it silently, or speak it, of no one is around you.

For further information read the manual: http://help.apple.com/ipad/7/

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connect your iPad to a computer and try to turn off that feature. (iTunes)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try long pressing the buttons you want to tap. With Voice over enabled, you have to long tap, or tap and hold, whatever you call it, on the button you want to press. Go like that to the place from where you turned on voice over and then deactivate it by long tapping and then sliding. Or, does Siri not help when you say "Turn voice over off"?

OP
pizzicatto

pizzicatto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try long pressing the buttons you want to tap. With Voice over enabled, you have to long tap, or tap and hold, whatever you call it, on the button you want to press. Go like that to the place from where you turned on voice over and then deactivate it by long tapping and then sliding. Or, does Siri not help when you say "Turn voice over off"?

Thank you.

OP
pizzicatto

pizzicatto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect your iPad to a computer and try to turn off that feature. (iTunes)

When I had this voice over problem happened last week, I was driven to find out what caused it.

Sadly, the Apple phone tech support was of no help.

For two days, I was grieving without a clue on where I went wrong here. I googled the issue. Nothing came through. Finally, I just decided to read the manual online and then presto, bump over on the instructions on "how to turn off the voice over" feature.

I connected my iPad to my Mac for the iTunes to work.

The problem was for two years now, I have not been using iTunes because my back up has been with iCloud.

Downloading the updates on this in my Mac took 7-hours which was a bummer. The Apple phone tech support was of no use. All advise provided didn't trouble-shoot the issue. Finally, after going through heaves of topics in the manual, it appeared that the answer was easy.

When the iTunes update in my Mac was over, I plugged in my iPad to my Mac and manually removed the voice over feature thru iTunes via my Mac's setting device. Et voila, my problem was all at once resolved! Can't believe how easy that was! On the other hand, it is unimaginable on how screwy is the voice over feature of the iPad.

Why on earth is it there- when the whole concept is immaterial and not functional? All it did was to screw up my iPad.

Warning: don't even attempt to touch the voice over thing as it would really damage your machine. It is supposed to lead the impaired user to make an iPad experience a memorable one. Well, it certainly made mine to be THAT unforgettable!

Thanks to all of you who wrote in and helped. I am truly appreciative of it all. My reply is a bit late as I am away and traveling.

Thank you again.

Best,

Pizzicatto

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you could fix this! Thanks for posting the solution! It could help other members with the same issue.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why on earth is it there- when the whole concept is immaterial and not functional? All it did was to screw up my iPad.

Thank you again.

Best,

Pizzicatto
Even I don't know its significance. I once tapped it on my iPhone to see what it was. I thought my iPhone was teaching me to pronounce everything I was tapping!

Most reactions

Latest posts