What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad charging problems

Amykins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new here,

I just bought a new iPad apparently it's North American, and I live in the uk. The guy I bought it off kindly has put a universal plug in with it, but with that and the American charger it looks like a right contraption! So I've decided to use my iPod charger (uk wall plug that you put a usb cable in) and it didn't work! So now do I need a UK iPad charger like the iPod charger that I've got? and will that then work with my American iPad? And also will a UK docking station charge it?
Thanks
Amy

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Amy.... - welcome to the forum! :)

First, let's start all over: 1) What iPad model did you buy; and 2) Did you buy the device from an Apple store or a qualified re-seller? Second, I'm not really sure what you are describing w/ the chargers (a pic or two might help).

The iPad requires a 10W charger, i.e. 5V x 2 Amps (newer iPads take a little more amperage), so we really need to know what you currently own. Finally, the iPod charger has only 5W power (5V x 1Amp) and will not charge your iPad. I'll stop there and let you respond. Dave

OP
A

Amykins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave :)

Well I've just got an iPad mini 2 brand new from a re seller. With the plugs, he's given me a travel universal plug where I can stick the American charger in to turn it into a UK charger. But with the usb cable as well that means theres 3 parts. Where with my iPod ive just got a plug and cable.

But I can see what you mean. I read on some of the other threads that the iPod chargers work on the iPad but are a bit slower in charging.
So I wasn't sure why it wasn't working if it was the UK plug charging American ipad, or cos the iPod charger don't work with it.
Any ideas about the docking station question?

Thanks very much :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well I've just got an iPad mini 2 brand new from a re seller. With the plugs, he's given me a travel universal plug where I can stick the American charger in to turn it into a UK charger. But with the usb cable as well that means theres 3 parts. Where with my iPod ive just got a plug and cable.

Hi again Amy - please define 're seller' for us, i.e. I'm not familiar w/ the UK resellers but in the USA, Best Buy would be one - was this purchase made from a 'bona fide' store or from a person w/o credentials?

But I can see what you mean. I read on some of the other threads that the iPod chargers work on the iPad but are a bit slower in charging.

The iPad when plugged into a power source w/ less than 10W will often state 'not charging', e.g. the iPod adapter, USB port on a computer, etc. - a small 'trickle' charge might be supplied but the time for a recharge is LONG; SO, you should charge the iPad w/ a 10W apparatus - look on the charger given you to see if that is the wattage?

So I wasn't sure why it wasn't working if it was the UK plug charging American ipad, or cos the iPod charger don't work with it.
The UK plug (and again I've never used one) simply is for the electrical outlet in the country of use; these are often interchangeable w/ a single adapter (e.g. my American 2-prong adapter can be remove from the charger and another one attached); thus, you really need to be concerned more w/ the power being put out by the adapter you were sold.

Any ideas about the docking station question?

You'll have to provide more information - not sure what you are talking about? Again, a pic and/or a link is needed - any type of so-called 'docking' station would require the same power ratings that have already been discussed. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts