What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad battery depletion while plugged in

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not seem that app, but for curiousity will give it a try. ....
Lithium cells used to have the potential to be quite dangerous, but safety features have improved so much these days it's almost a non issue. Nonetheless, manufacturers are still wary and cautious, and have to error on side of safety, which is why many thousands of products have had to be recalled in the past, due to a lithium Ion powered device exploding, due to a bad batch of batteries. Fortunately and thankfully this is rare event now.

In case you haven't read it yet...
Apple explains iPad battery indicator - The Washington Post

L

Lunar

Thanks for the link, I had'nt read it actually, also since found couple of other stories on the net about it not being fully charged, when it displays 100%, though I suspect these battery percentage figures will likely not be 100% accurate, and perhaps should be treated similar to one's car fuel gauge.
In any case I'm sure the next iOS update will contain a few fixes... especially now customers have had time to play with them.

santoshsingh77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new iPad 3rd Gen (64 GB Wifi + 3G) and Iam experiencing the same problem. I think apple has given an underpowered 10W charger for the new iPad. Iam very unhappy with the charging part. It takes at least 8-9 hrs for full charge when it's not being used. If u use while charging, the battery slowly depletes

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the new iPad 3rd Gen (64 GB Wifi + 3G) and Iam experiencing the same problem. I think apple has given an underpowered 10W charger for the new iPad. Iam very unhappy with the charging part. It takes at least 8-9 hrs for full charge when it's not being used. If u use while charging, the battery slowly depletes

Whether it depletes or not while in use really depends on what you're doing and the brightness level you keep the screen at. Run the screen at 100% brightness, then you must expect that the battery will deplete. I put my screen on 100% brightness and didn't really do anything but let is be on...and the temp on the back got to 111 deg F in 36mins. So the screen, with all those 3 million pixels, can really draw a lot of power. And if you are playing a graphics intensive game too, with the screen on max brightness, the condition is even worse. But I also use my iPad for navigation using Navigon and with the screen at 40-50% with autobrightness on and music playing in the background, the new iPad can still gain charge.

Because I use my iPad everyday, at work and at home and in the car, I have a 10W charger in all of these locations. You can get them for $8 on Amazon, replete with a charging cable. I simply keep it plugged in whenever I am at my desk.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether it depletes or not while in use really depends on what you're doing and the brightness level you keep the screen at. Run the screen at 100% brightness, then you must expect that the battery will deplete. I put my screen on 100% brightness and didn't really do anything but let is be on...and the temp on the back got to 111 deg F in 36mins. So the screen, with all those 3 million pixels, can really draw a lot of power. And if you are playing a graphics intensive game too, with the screen on max brightness, the condition is even worse. But I also use my iPad for navigation using Navigon and with the screen at 40-50% with autobrightness on and music playing in the background, the new iPad can still gain charge.

Because I use my iPad everyday, at work and at home and in the car, I have a 10W charger in all of these locations. You can get them for $8 on Amazon, replete with a charging cable. I simply keep it plugged in whenever I am at my desk.

Unlike the AMOLED which doesn't use back light, iPad's current retina LCD screen replies on LED to provide the light. As you increase the brightness, the LED consumes more power. I really cannot understand why people b*itch about battery depletion/usage while in the same time give their LED the full blast...

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Unlike the AMOLED which doesn't use back light, iPad's current retina LCD screen replies on LED to provide the light. As you increase the brightness, the LED consumes more power. I really cannot understand why people b*itch about battery depletion/usage while in the same time give their LED the full blast...

It's like someone buying a BMW M3 and complaining that the MPG is 13.... But they drive it like they stole it -_-

L

Lunar

I can probably understand why someone may knock up the brightness a lot when in bright sunshine, but if inside the home where our's is mostly used, 40% is more than plenty for me, and is about the optimum for our ambient room lighting, I did try it up towards max and it really blows your head, almost to the point of being unwatchable, like having a bright torch shining in your face..lol.. but some people seem to think it looks better and prefer it high, so maybe some iPad3 backlights are simply brighter than others.. no idea.

Mine takes longer to charge compared to our iPad 1, but whether I'm streaming from the net, or watching a movie with bluettooth enabled, it still charges okay, certainly not had it taking more out than it's putting in... at least not so far anyway. Though I did notice after the last charge to 100% where it was left connected to the charger for a extra 1hr after reaching 100%, when the charger was disconnected it did seem to drop back to 99% within about 3 or 4 minutes, but after 1hr-10mins use its currently showing 95%.
Though it initially went back to 99% quickly, I think considering it was still 95% after 70mins use, that doesn't seem too bad to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExCalif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Nice to know some M/B have this near-useless feature... LOL

With that said, I noticed that in my boost magic app charging sequence showed my iPad being charged at 3 different stages. First it was the standard fast+trickle charge to 100% as the iPad indicator also shows. But then it was immediately followed by two top-off charge sessions, each lasting 10 minutes.

It does appear a bit strange to me...

First time poster, short time lurker... IPad3 64gb 3g.

Great thread. I have been having similar consumption issues. I had been shutting down services, bluetooth, cell data, gps enabled apps, location services etc. to try and isolate what may be consuming power so quick. Had not thought about the screen - the biggest hog in the unit - Doh...

Screen suitably set to 40%.

Now a question - if I leave autobright on, and drag the slider back does the autobright then try to maintain that leve or does it override and go full blast in bright sun? In other words is it all manual or all auto? Hmmm...

A friend says he has an app for his android that proactively manages power and suggests things to turn off. Is boost magic sophisticated like that? Would love to have something more than just the "gas" guage.

I also keep 10w chargers everwhere. In fact I noxed up and hid the iPhone chargers as ai periodically plug into the wrong one...

The extended cable ones are cool by the couch, the bed etc. There are some good aftermarket cigarette lighter ones I have on the boat, the car, my computer bag for when traveling etc.

<edit> PS - my PC does not have USB 2. During initial set up and syncing, about 20gb of photos, media, etc. I almost ran out of power on the ipad. It definitely discharges, or barely keeps up if you power with non-USB2 ports.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use white cables for all my non iPad charging needs. The black cables deliver 10 W for my iPad. Since I follow this rule at all of my charging station, I never get confused anymore.

Mordor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Air Supremacy intensive enough? I just charged my iPad3 while playing and it didn't take THAT much longer, actually the batt indicator seemed to go up pretty fast...

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Without taking any closer look, I've got a feeling that the OP was plugging in the USB port of the PC and assume it would charge just like the normal 10W power supply.

That does not have to be the case. Turn on airplay and set brightness to 100 percent and the battery does deplete faster than it charges even if plugged into the wall.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
That does not have to be the case. Turn on airplay and set brightness to 100 percent and the battery does deplete faster than it charges even if plugged into the wall.

Yeah, I've noticed that also playing the game Infinity Blade 2, 100% brightness, almost max volume. iPad was at 30% when I started charging it. Played the game while charging, and an hour later, battery was down to 21%. I guess it depends on how hard the iPad is working during the charge. Seems that graphically intensive apps, higher brightness and volume will use up more juice than the charger can replenish.

G

Grytpype

It's normal. The iPad 3 eats power 70% faster than the iPad 2. iPad 3 with A5X processor (GPU power consumption doubled) + retina display (pixel density quadrupled) + max brightness + power-hungry app + Bluetooth + WiFi = power consumption > charge rate.

To ensure a similar battery life of 10 hours, the iPad 3 was given a battery with 70% higher capacity than the iPad 2 (42.5 Wh vs. 25 Wh). The same 10W charger therefore takes proportionally longer to charge it (~5 hours vs. ~3 hours).

So: why wasn't the iPad 3 given a 17W charger, to charge it as quickly as the iPad 2? Answer: heat issues. Cranking up the charging rate would lead to overheating.

BTW, the "explanation" in that Washington Post article is pure BS. The marketing guy obviously doesn't understand correct LiPo battery CC-CV charging algorithms, which require constant current (CC) until full voltage (4.2V) is reached, followed by constant voltage (CV) until the current drops to ~0.05C.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ufo00 said:
I have a new iPad 32 gb wifi only. I've searched this forum and didn't find anything on what I'm experiencing.

When I plug my new iPad into power to charge it, because it's getting low on battery, I continue to use while it's charging. I notice that the battery percentage indicator keeps dropping instead of slowly rising like my iPad 2 did. The battery keeps dropping while plugged into power until it powers off completely. This is crazy.

I could use my ipad2 indefinitely if it was plugged into power. Now, I can't use my new iPad with it plugged in before it runs out of power!

Has anyone experienced this on the new iPad?

Same problem, what I do is just lower my brightness, solves the problem.

Also the new iPad has twice the battery capacity of the iPad 2, but the same charger, so naturally, the new iPad will take twice as long to charge.

Last edited:

Most reactions