What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Issues

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have an iPad 3. Im using the cable & charger that came with it. I'm on 6.1.3 iOS. It is not jailbroke. And it's out of warranty.

I'm having issues charging it. If I'm on an app or game while its plugged in the battery will actually drop instead of charging up or even standing still. I've tested the apps on my wife's iPad 3 with the same charger and it doesn't do it on hers. I've reset my iPad to factory and restored it. It's the same thing. I'm literally on it now at 5% and its taken an hour to rise from 3% to 5% while all apps were cleared from task bar and the iPad locked. Any ideas? I'd prefer not to pay apple to check it. But I will if needed.

Mast2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine used to take ages to charge and did not seem to charge when using and plugged in when the charger gave up I went and purchased a new Apple one which happened to be 12watt instead of the10 Watt it came with and it charges quite well even when using. For £12GBP it was well worth it.

Last edited:
OP
jgelety

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The charger I received is only a 10w. It was a refurbished iPad through Best Buy on Amazon. I ordered a 12w so we'll see if it improves it. I know the iPad 3 needed the higher one.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The charger I received is only a 10w. It was a refurbished iPad through Best Buy on Amazon. I ordered a 12w so we'll see if it improves it. I know the iPad 3 needed the higher one.

Well, I guess that the 10W charger could still be the issue - good luck w/ the 12W although not sure the sight increase in power will make much difference unless indeed the problem is the charger; you might also obtain a battery app, such as the one HERE - provides charging times, usage times for various activities, and 'battery health' indication - please post back your results w/ the new charger. :)

OP
jgelety

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gotten a decent app called Battery Doctor HD. Seems decent. I've also heard that the CPU's temp can cause battery issues if its too high. I haven't received any warnings or shut downs but it could be high enough to reduce my battery. I'm trying to find an app to check the temp. I use to have one on my 3GS but it seems to be not available now. I replaced my iPad cover a month ago and these issues just started a couple days ago but maybe it's causing it to run hot. I'll let you know how the new charger is when I try it out.

iPhone 4S 6.1.2 jailbroke :) iPad 3 6.1.3 not jailbroke :(

OP
jgelety

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an update. Here is what I posted in another thread where I was asking about any apps to check the temp of my iPad. The initial part is me talking about a diagnostic report on my iPad which reported a low memory issue. Then my possible professional diagnosis of my iPad which was "Cerebral Cranium Fartous" or in lay-mans terms Brain Fart. We'll see how the next few days play out after my new charger gets here.

might want to take a look at post #9 in THIS THREAD

Good read. I of course had the "do not send" so I'll need to wait for the report tomorrow. I did however have a "low memory" report there for yesterday. Seems between the few apps I had in my multitask bar and a big game going I killed my memory leaving only 12mb of memory free. That would explain my initial battery issue. But even after resetting & restoring my iPad and attempting to charge it I was having issues. It took 2 hours to charge from 5% to 7% while task bar was cleared and the iPad locked. Then charging it over night for 7 hours while locked it only went from 8% to 77%. Today at work I've had it plugged in and on several apps at once. It's holding at 67% for the last 4 hours while using all of those plugged in. Maybe my iPad had a temporary brain fart?

iPhone 4S 6.1.2 jailbroke :) iPad 3 6.1.3 not jailbroke :(

Most reactions

Latest posts