What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad battery depletion while plugged in

Ufo00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad 32 gb wifi only. I've searched this forum and didn't find anything on what I'm experiencing.

When I plug my new iPad into power to charge it, because it's getting low on battery, I continue to use while it's charging. I notice that the battery percentage indicator keeps dropping instead of slowly rising like my iPad 2 did. The battery keeps dropping while plugged into power until it powers off completely. This is crazy.

I could use my ipad2 indefinitely if it was plugged into power. Now, I can't use my new iPad with it plugged in before it runs out of power!

Has anyone experienced this on the new iPad?

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad (3rd gen) 64g and I'm not having this problem. I suspect it.charges more slowly when I'm using it, especially relative to my iPad 2, but it does charge,

Are you using apps like games that use more power than apps like safari?

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad 32 gb wifi only. I've searched this forum and didn't find anything on what I'm experiencing.

When I plug my new iPad into power to charge it, because it's getting low on battery, I continue to use while it's charging. I notice that the battery percentage indicator keeps dropping instead of slowly rising like my iPad 2 did. The battery keeps dropping while plugged into power until it powers off completely. This is crazy.

I could use my ipad2 indefinitely if it was plugged into power. Now, I can't use my new iPad with it plugged in before it runs out of power!

Has anyone experienced this on the new iPad?

Are you using the cable that came with the iPad itself? All other cables will not work.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The supplied charger will keep up with most usage except those which are power intensive. Look at ways to reduce your power consumption. Do you have other apps running in the background? Most do not, but there are some that continue to consume power. Is your brightness above 50%? The higher the brightness setting on automatic, you can consume up to twice the juice.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been an issue for some. Like others said if you are running "intense" apps the charger will not keep up with the usage. I saw the article in the gadget section of Zite.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
Are you using the cable that came with the iPad itself? All other cables will not work.

Is this true? I've used my iPad 2 charger and cable to fully charge my iPad 3 on several occasions, though I haven't tried to use the iPad while it's charging. The cable that came with the iPad 3 looks identical to all the other cables of my apple idevices- iPod, iPhone, iPad 2.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this true? I've used my iPad 2 charger and cable to fully charge my iPad 3 on several occasions, though I haven't tried to use the iPad while it's charging. The cable that came with the iPad 3 looks identical to all the other cables of my apple idevices- iPod, iPhone, iPad 2.
The iPad 2 charger is a 10W charger just like the new iPad charger. However, iPod and iPhone chargers are only 5W and so will charge the new iPad more slowly than it's 10W cousin. Some USB ports on computers do not provide enough power to charge the new iPad at all, but most newer ports will supply enough to charge it, but not at the same time as using it. The new iPad has a larger battery compared to previous models to accommodate the larger power draw from the screen (and to a lesser extent the A5X), thus using some apps at the same time as charging it might result in a loss of battery power (as in power being used > charging power).

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

All other cables will not work?

This is untrue.

I use my iPad 3 in my car for Nav...which mean I run the screen continously. I have a 10W car charger that I bought on Amazon.com. It came with it's own cable. My new iPad gains charge while doing this, though I do admit it seems to do so at a slower rate than how my iPad 2 behaved. I have several other third party cables and 10W chargers that I regularly use on my new iPad and they work just fine. All of the cables I have work too.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some reports of older cables not working, but it should not be an issue with any cable manufactured within the last few years. What is the primary issue, the chargers used for iPhones and iPods, and any computer used (other than recent models) are only rated for 5w charging. Most aftermarket chargers, unless specifically rated for 10w/2.1A will not charge at the full rate. If you are not certain of the rating, you can go ahead an use any charger. Just be sure to give it more time for charging, and it would help if you power off the iPad. If you desire, there are numerous inexpensive chargers, including car chargers, on the market that are rated for the iPad. For use in my car, I have one of those with a cord designed to plug into the iPad 30 pin dock, and plug into the 12 VDC outlet and the stereo aux-in port.

L

Lunar

There were indeed a few cheap iphone and iPad cables which would'nt actually charge at all due to one wire being missing (or not connected) apparently, though I thought most of these problems were usually with cheap cables bought from dubious Ebay sellers, I had one myself, dirt cheap, which just wouldn't charge my iPad1, it never even showed the charging icon on top right of the screen.

To the original poster, does your iPad behave the same regardless which 10watt iPad charger your using..IOW I assume you have eliminated a charger fault.
My official iPad charger does charge my iPad3 even when I'm using it, such as when streaming live TV which I use mine a lot for... IOW it's often used as a TV alongside my computer..lol, albeit it will be much slower than if the iPad was powered off of course.

At home.. mine spends a lot of time in a Logitech stand with powered speakers built-in, and I find that seems to charge slightly quicker than the proper 10watt charger, I'm hoping that's not a bad thing. Though in fairness I've used this same stand on my iPad1 for a very long time without any issues.

I have never seen the battery level go down when charging even when the iPad was being used.... so you may have a issue with your iPad (hope not) I would certainly try another charger first if that's possible, if only to eliminate the charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without taking any closer look, I've got a feeling that the OP was plugging in the USB port of the PC and assume it would charge just like the normal 10W power supply.

L

Lunar

Without taking any closer look, I've got a feeling that the OP was plugging in the USB port of the PC and assume it would charge just like the normal 10W power supply.

That may be the case, as the OP didn't specifically say he was using the actual Apple iPad 10watt charger, it was his first post on the forum, and has not posted since. ;-)

IME, most PC's will actually deliver a small charge, even though it shows up on the top right as not charging, but it is quite small, and certainly if the iPad has not been powered off, and especially if it's in use it will take more out of the battery than what the PC can put in. This AYS is widely known.

I did notice when I built my current PC rig, which uses a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P motherboard, Gigabyte claim you can charge your iPad from the PC as they claim their USB ports have a higher wattage rating.
However, in use, I've found that sure enough the output from Gigabyte's later boards do indeed remove the 'Not Charging' message from the top right of the iPads screen and show it as charging, but TBH, although it does charge the iPad even when being used it's pretty damn slow... extremely so..lol
It only just about works, as I've noticed that if I use a 2m connecting cable instead of the standard supplied cable it has a tendency to occasionally show the 'NO Charging' message, but if i revert back to the standard shorter cable it starts to work again. IOW.. I think it just barely works...just!..lol

IMO, your much better off using the proper 10watt charger, unless you use a proper iPad stand/dock which is designed to deliver sufficient wattage, my Logitech iPad stand for example seems to charge a little quicker than Apples 10watt charger, though I've not done any real world tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice to know some M/B have this near-useless feature... LOL

With that said, I noticed that in my boost magic app charging sequence showed my iPad being charged at 3 different stages. First it was the standard fast+trickle charge to 100% as the iPad indicator also shows. But then it was immediately followed by two top-off charge sessions, each lasting 10 minutes.

It does appear a bit strange to me...

Last edited:
L

Lunar

Nice to know some M/B have this near-useless feature... LOL

With that said, I noticed that in my boost magic app charging sequence showed my iPad being charged at 3 different stages. First it was the standard fast+trickle charge to 100% as the iPad indicator also shows. But then it was immediately followed by two top-off charge sessions, each lasting 10 minutes.

It does appear a bit strange to me...

I've not seem that app, but for curiousity will give it a try. I know from my own experiences when I used to fly radio controlled planes years ago, that the companies who manufactured the Lithium ion cell battery packs always stated that unlike other types of cells these need special chargers, and that unlike previous batteries harm could be done to the cells if they were trickle charged from their flat state which was about 1.08v per cell.. IOW they used to charge at a fairly high rate in stages, with as you say a final topup when they reached peak voltage at about 1.46v per cell. I do know that it was most harmful to the packs if allowed to run completely flat.
Which is the reason devices like iPads and anything else that uses Lithium Ion cells cut off power well before that harmful low level is ever reached.

Lithium cells used to have the potential to be quite dangerous, but safety features have improved so much these days it's almost a non issue. Nonetheless, manufacturers are still wary and cautious, and have to error on side of safety, which is why many thousands of products have had to be recalled in the past, due to a lithium Ion powered device exploding, due to a bad batch of batteries. Fortunately and thankfully this is rare event now.

Most reactions

Latest posts