What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Air

Norriemca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently, I have an iPad 2 which is working fine.

I have been thinking about upgrading to a new iPad Air.

The Air would give me a faster, lighter iPad with a Retina screen.

To keep "like for like" I would buy an Air with 32 gb and wifi + cellular.

Then - A case - Apple of course.
A screensaver - Moshi which is easy to fit and hard wearing.
A 30 pin to lightning adapter to suit my "old" system accessories.
A SIM card clipper to cut SIM cards down to Nano instead of Micro size which I use now on iPad 2.

Total price - £703!

Should I continue to "support" Apple or not?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, I have an iPad 2 which is working fine. I have been thinking about upgrading to a new iPad Air. The Air would give me a faster, lighter iPad with a Retina screen. To keep "like for like" I would buy an Air with 32 gb and wifi + cellular. Then - A case - Apple of course. A screensaver - Moshi which is easy to fit and hard wearing. A 30 pin to lightning adapter to suit my "old" system accessories. A SIM card clipper to cut SIM cards down to Nano instead of Micro size which I use now on iPad 2. Total price - £703! Should I continue to "support" Apple or not?
Perhaps it's a good idea to ask your provider if it's possible to change your current Micro SIM card for a Nano SIM card. I've heard that the clippers (although they seem to be very useful) can damage the card if not used correctly.

The only thing I have on that is...why buy an adapter...just buy the actual lightning cables...I comes with one already Sent from my iPad mini using iPF

Because the iPad 2 that's been used by Norriemca until now has a 30 pin connector. The cables that were used to connect the iPad to the accessories would be useless for the iPad Air without a 30 pin to lightning adapter.

Witention

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get the iPad mini, they are too similar, only different the larger screen on ipad air, and it also goes with 1.5Ghz, instead of 1.4 Ghz.

sarahzohar88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to find exact this type of posting so, i feel lucky because to find this type of postings. Thanks

ack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3rd Gen and I've thought about upgrading to the Air but I can't see a clear advantage.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3rd Gen and I've thought about upgrading to the Air but I can't see a clear advantage.

The advantages are fairly big. The Air has a newer processor, better wifi, lighter weight, smaller physical dimensions, better video processing, faster overall performance too. Quite a big upgrade, IMO.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The advantages are fairly big. The Air has a newer processor, better wifi, lighter weight, smaller physical dimensions, better video processing, faster overall performance too. Quite a big upgrade, IMO.

I would agree--for me. The Air is what I've been hoping for since I bought my original Ipad One the week it came out. i upgraded from One to 3, primarily for better processor and for 3G but am not sorry I upgraded to the Air--and to 128 GB this time from 64GB as I use my Ipad for 99% of my computing. I have a new built to my specs PC but only use it for Photo processing in Photoshop and Lightroom since I find I can do almost everything but more complex spreadsheets on the Ipad.

Nice for both of us my 3 went to my husband to replace his Ipad one and its just right for his needs at this point.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went from an iPad 1 to an Air.. The difference was stunning :)

My iPad 1 was getting on 4 years old, but was still working fine. Surprisingly, the battery was still giving me good life. But, the iPad 1 is limited to iOS 5.1.1 (apparently because it cant' support the later versions)... Many new apps now require iOS 6 and up and because of that the iPad 1 was getting limited and I was forced to move up to keep up with the times.

I don't regret moving up. I got four years out of my iPad 1 and look forward to getting at least four more years out of the Air. If you can afford it, make the move!

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was having severe problems with using Pages on my iPad 2 once I upgraded to iOS 7 and chronic long-term storage issues.

The difference in the weight and thinness of the Air are so distinct I decided forgo a case in favor of just a smart cover.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Look for the sales person who is looking in need for sales, they might throw in an extra cable :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look for the sales person who is looking in need for sales, they might throw in an extra cable :)

I know, right? Actually, can the apple store employees wheel and deal like that? Interesting if they can. Hmmmmm.......

Most reactions