What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here

Pearl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi my name is Pearl & I'm new to the forum......I also need assistance.
I live in Australia where I have worked out all my settings etc, I am now on holiday in the UK, I have purchased a micro sim from the carrier 'Orange' and I am up & running except I cannot send emails......I can receive them! The same issue applies to my IPhone ......so it must be a problem with my settings. Can anyone assist me through the frustration please?

Hi Tim,
Yes,it's very frustrating & I have been to a few PC shops however no-one can assist,except to tell me it's a problem with my outgoing mail!
I use Telstra ( Bigpond) in Australia for my outgoing mail, my incoming mail is via Internode ( based in Adelaide).
Should I be speaking with the carrier 'Orange' for assistance? It's really odd because my Internet connection is perfect but even via 'web mail' on the Internet I cannot send!
My friends must think I'm rude not replying& I don't want to go to an Internet cafe......that's why Santabgave me this gorgeous IPad!

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. I see you are having email problems.

I assume that, although you're using an Orange microSIM your email service provider is back in Australia. I think the problem is something that is called 'Port 25 relay'. Check in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', <select the account you are using>, 'Outgoing Mail Server', 'Primary Mail Server' and then look at the port number. If it's set to '25' then it may be that your email service provider in Australia prohibits what is called 'Port 25 relay'.

This is because (begin technical explanation, so you can go to sleep), when the email system was originally set up in days gone past, the originators thought that there should be password protection to receive email, but never thought that it would be necessary for sending email.

The problem is that this was an oversight because, without that protection, it is very easy (trivially easy, in fact) for you to 'pretend' to be someone else and send emails that appear to originate from that person.

When you're in Australia on your home network, you probably have to log in, so your service provider knows that it's really you trying to send emails but now you're in the UK and trying to access your email server from a foreign (Orange) network, your service provider has no way of verifying who you are. So, basically, they prohibit you from sending email from a foreign network. It's called a 'Port 25 relay' because that's the so-called 'well-known' Port on which email is sent.

There are a couple of ways around this problem

(1) Some email providers have a facility for secure log-in for sending emails - i.e. Google - so, if you use the Google SMTP server to send your emails there's not a problem. So, if you have a Google account (even webmail) you can set up your iPad email to send from the Google account.

Set your SMTP server to smtp.google.com

Set your username and password to what you normally use for your web Google mail.

'Use SSL' should be set to 'On'
Port Number should be 465
Authentication should be 'Password'

I leave my outgoing mail to be always sent from my Google account, even when I'm on my home network; avoids constantly changing it.

Another option is to send your emails from the Google web mail using Safari.

It may take a couple of attempts to get this set up and you usually end up with a couple of spurious error messages. Try sending yourself a message first to see it it works.

Don't hesitate to get back if there's any further help you need.

Enjoy your trip to the UK - sorry about the weather!!

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi my name is Pearl & I'm new to the forum......I also need assistance.
I live in Australia where I have worked out all my settings etc, I am now on holiday in the UK, I have purchased a micro sim from the carrier 'Orange' and I am up & running except I cannot send emails......I can receive them! The same issue applies to my IPhone ......so it must be a problem with my settings. Can anyone assist me through the frustration please?

Hi Tim,
Yes,it's very frustrating & I have been to a few PC shops however no-one can assist,except to tell me it's a problem with my outgoing mail!
I use Telstra ( Bigpond) in Australia for my outgoing mail, my incoming mail is via Internode ( based in Adelaide).
Should I be speaking with the carrier 'Orange' for assistance? It's really odd because my Internet connection is perfect but even via 'web mail' on the Internet I cannot send!
My friends must think I'm rude not replying& I don't want to go to an Internet cafe......that's why Santabgave me this gorgeous IPad!

OK - I am certainly puzzled that you cannot send webmail because that points to something entirely different. When you say that you 'cannot send mail' what exactly happens when you try to send it? i.e. what type of error message or 'behaviour' do you get from the iPad. I certainly cannot see any reason that would prevent you from sending webmail.

My initial reaction (probably not much help, since my other 'initial' reaction over the port 25 relay didn't seem to solve the problem) is that it must be something with your account back in Australia. I would have tried to get access to another computer with Internet access - yes, even an Internet cafe - for a short while and see if you can send a test message from there. I suspect you'll find that you can't - i.e. it's not an iPad or Orange problem at all but something with the account in Australia.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Pearl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - I am certainly puzzled that you cannot send webmail because that points to something entirely different. When you say that you 'cannot send mail' what exactly happens when you try to send it? i.e. what type of error message or 'behaviour' do you get from the iPad. I certainly cannot see any reason that would prevent you from sending webmail.

My initial reaction (probably not much help, since my other 'initial' reaction over the port 25 relay didn't seem to solve the problem) is that it must be something with your account back in Australia. I would have tried to get access to another computer with Internet access - yes, even an Internet cafe - for a short while and see if you can send a test message from there. I suspect you'll find that you can't - i.e. it's not an iPad or Orange problem at all but something with the account in Australia.

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim,
Thank you for all the info, I don't use Google for email & Internet at home it's usually Thunderbird & Monzilla Firefox ......would you suggest I 'add' another server & use Google for my outgoing mail?
A few of my tourism collected back in Australia are watching / waiting for me to fix this as they are coming to the UK in April for an International expo.... They are considering whether to get IPads or purchase Note Books.....of course up to now I have been raving about the convenience of the IPad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it's worth a try. You'll have to 'register' with Google and get a Google mail account before you can do this - but it certainly be an easy solution at this stage. Just surf to Google, set up an email account (takes just a couple of minutes) and try to send mail from there. If you can, that more or less confirms there's a problem with you email back home - i.e. it's not an iPad or Orange issue. You could use the Google Webmail interface to try this out and, if it works, set up your SMTP server in Settings on the iPad as I mentioned earlier.

Let us know how you get on. The puzzling problems are always the most interesting and a challenge.

Sorry again about the weather in the UK at the moment - but I guess you don't come to the UK at this time of the year to get a sun tan. But enjoy your vacation.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Pearl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - it's worth a try. You'll have to 'register' with Google and get a Google mail account before you can do this - but it certainly be an easy solution at this stage. Just surf to Google, set up an email account (takes just a couple of minutes) and try to send mail from there. If you can, that more or less confirms there's a problem with you email back home - i.e. it's not an iPad or Orange issue. You could use the Google Webmail interface to try this out and, if it works, set up your SMTP server in Settings on the iPad as I mentioned earlier.

Let us know how you get on. The puzzling problems are always the most interesting and a challenge.

Sorry again about the weather in the UK at the moment - but I guess you don't come to the UK at this time of the year to get a sun tan. But enjoy your vacation.

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim,
I have taken your recommendation and created a gmail a/c. My emails are now flying away without any problems, it's just a shame that I can't use my normal a/c. You are correct I believe re me trying to access the Telstra server from outside Australia. I have recommended this forum to all the IPad users that are on my Face Book page.
The weather has been good in West Wales today.....I have had two lovely days since I've been here ! It reinforces my decision to emigrate 27yrs ago.
Thanks again for your help & advice Tim,it is greatly appreciated.
Pearl

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have set up your Gmail account, then there shouldn't be any problem with simply using Gmail to *send* your emails from the iPad's mail app, but receiving them on your normal Australian account. This is what I do to avoid this problem. I have an account with a service provider called Eclipse and have exactly the same problem as you did.

So I set up a Gmail account using webmail, but I never use the webmail version. I simply receive all my email on my Eclipse account (i.e. I have set the iPad mail app to receive using the Eclipse POP server) but I have set up the SMTP outgoing settings to use the Google SMTP server, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. In other words, it's a sort of hybrid setup - receive on Eclipse but send on Google. Since you can, in the iPad email app set up the send and receive independently, it doesn't matter. You just need to be sure that the 'reply to' address is set to your Australian address and not to Google. Just to avoid that possibility I have also set my Google email account to automatically forward any email received to my Eclipse account.

This is indistinguishable, from a user's perspective, from sending and receiving on the Eclipse account but avoids the problem of the Port 25 relay.

Have a great vacation

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts