What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Here--Haven't purchased ipad yet

dennisoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lurked for several days and love the helpfulness on this site. I am retired and considering buying an iPad2. Still wrestling with how much memory, 3G or not 3G, and will I use it enought to justify the cost.

I will mostly use it at home, but I have purchased enough tech stuff to realize that uses expand greatly once the hardware is in hand. So, while I don't really forsee any need for 3G, I am wondering whether the extra $129 would be worth it, just in case.

Anyway, I am looking forward to participating in these forums. Thank you again for this wonderful, informative site.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you take any long car or train trips it's great to have the 3G. Waiting in the car for someone to finish an errand? Nice to have 3G. You can buy it month by month, so there's flexibility.

Goober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! I have an iPad1 without 3G. I mostly use it at home where I have wifi. I do travel for work but I have a wireless wifi device that I take with me for those purposes.

If you're not traveling much and have wifi at home I think you'd be fine not getting 3G, but it cabe a pain to go somewhere and forget you don't have coverage. It just wasn't worth the extra cost for me.

As far as memory...I like to carry a lot of content because I travel but also because I find syncing my devices a pain in the bum. So, I have the highest amount of space I could get and I haven't had to worry about running out yet.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new device!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

oriondlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I passed on the first iPad waited till iPad 2. I bought a 32 gig wifi iPad2. My wife and I travel around oregon and stay in motel rooms. We have had good luck getting rooms with wifi and I can hook up to the HD tv in the rooms and watch movies from our Netflix account. I carry about 2500 pictures,just because I have not cleaned out the pics yet. 10 movies and about 1200 songs and have all my apps I like to use and still have rom to download more pics as we travel. I would say the 32 gig is fine for storage would like the 64 but just could not afford it. If I could not have afforded the 32 gig iPad I would have not have boughten it. Buy the iPad with the most storage as you can afford. We use face time to call family on out trips and stay in touch. This is a fantastic device and I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I enjoy ours.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like you , I debated if getting 3g was worth it. In the end i decided not to as I always carry my mobile phone around with me, (and i never use up my data allowance on it), so I use that as a wifi hot spot and tether my IPAD to it if I am out.

Check to see if your carrier will allow you do this, some don't.

I would rather use the extra money on getting more memory, i.e. the 64 GB model instead of 3g, as it's surprising how quickly you fill up your Ipad :)

Last edited:
OP
D

dennisoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the insights

I really appreciate all the insights you have provided me, and I enjoyed your posts. I'm learning more each day. Why, just yesterday I learned I could break out of jail with the iPod, and I could be tethered too--maybe all at the same time. What a piece of gear! :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
you should get one,i thought about it for ages,android or ipad2,got ipad2 and love it,i got 32gb wifi,i use it mostly at home and i have a 3g phone for when im out,i probably wont fill it up but its there if i need it,app store is fantastic,lots of free ones,so if you do want to use it away from home then 3g will be useful.

Goober

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dennisoz said:
I really appreciate all the insights you have provided me, and I enjoyed your posts. I'm learning more each day. Why, just yesterday I learned I could break out of jail with the iPod, and I could be tethered too--maybe all at the same time. What a piece of gear! :)

Ha. :)

Most reactions