What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning to buy an Apple Ipad

DeepeshMukherjee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all...

I am Deepesh.. New member to this forum... Planning to buy a Ipad but before that i want to know more about it..

Living in India...a Student.... The cost is very high here.. so planning to get from abroad (USA).. Please suggest me.. whether i should go for a 3G or non 3G... I know 3G is bit expensive.. but was it worth it... in India can i use the 3G in full... Very few service provider in India..

What if I go for a 16GB, will i get sufficient space after loading other software which available in market.. or should i go for 32GB... Some confusion about the disk space..

I am also thinking to buy along with that the Camera Connection Kit.. so that i can addon with memory cards and extend some data space... and upto what level i can put memory card......... 16GB or more ???

Please suggest me the best option... its a big investment for me... Looking forward to get interesting comments

Regards

Deepesh :eek::eek:

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Since you'll be using it in India, I'd suggest the wifi only version for you. That's based on you saying there are few 3G providers there. No use paying extra for a feature where service is limited.

16Gb or 32 depends on what you want to put on it. Movies take up the most space (500Mb-1.5Gb depending on movie), then photos, music. Apps on the AppStore are small. The biggest I've seen is 170Mb for a graphic intensive, many leveled game.

The Camera Connection Kit doesn't allow you to expand the memory or capacity of the iPad. The closest thing to being able to do that is putting pictures or movies on the SD card and then allowing you to import them into the iPad. But if your iPad is full, you can't even do that. You would have to sync your iPad to your computer to remove unwanted stuff and free up iPad space...and only then can you import the movies/photos from the SD card and Camera Connection Kit.

OP
D

DeepeshMukherjee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a ton PurpleOrchid...

Your suggestion really helps me alot to chose now. You explained it very clearly.. Now i can see the door which i have to walk through.. he he he :D ... Thanks again.

One more thing i want to ask you.. i have tons of high resolution pdf files (i.e. magazines, books etc), i have read somewhere that Ipad by default unable to read that and transfer it to an Ipad is a big problem.. is it so???

Buying Camera Connection Kit is also for that purpose besides the usual picture transfer. Can i put my pdf files in SD Card and upload to Ipad.. will then it be recognized ... or I am totally wrong about the concept...

Please explain and suggest me how to go about..

Thanks

Regards

Deepesh

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By default, correct, the iPad can't display pdfs. However, there are many pdf reading apps in the AppStore. GoodReader is supposed to be the best. I use Documents To Go, which has pdf reading innit, so I didn't need to buy GoodReader. But if I had to get a pdf app, it would be GoodReader.

I am pretty sure only photos and videos can be uploaded using the Camera Connection Kit. But there are cloud services where you can store/access files. Here in the US, Dropbox is one such service. Many iPad apps also connect to Dropbox (I think GoodReader is one of them). So you can store your pdf files in the cloud, then download them to your iPad whenever you have a wifi connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts