What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new guy

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning. I am new here. Name is John. I live in the NW panhandle of Florida. Retired completely in 2008 after 43 years working for Uncle Sam. 20 years military and 23 years civil service for the Air Force. I am a Vietnam Vet. Yeah , I'm old!!!!! New to I pads. Bought a Mini 2 with Retina display for me and best half as they were on sale. I am learning and """TRYING"" to teach my wife how to use it. she likes it, but says it's very different from windows and android based items. I am a Ham Radio operator. Been a ham since 1985.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning. I am new here. Name is John. I live in the NW panhandle of Florida. Retired completely in 2008 after 43 years working for Uncle Sam. 20 years military and 23 years civil service for the Air Force. I am a Vietnam Vet. Yeah , I'm old!!!!! New to I pads. Bought a Mini 2 with Retina display for me and best half as they were on sale. I am learning and """TRYING"" to teach my wife how to use it. she likes it, but says it's very different from windows and android based items. I am a Ham Radio operator. Been a ham since 1985.
Welcome to iPad Forums, 2wg68!!namvet1!
Many of our members will be only too glad to help you learn all you want about your new iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi John - welcome to the forum! :) There are many retired 'oldsters' here, including myself, so not to worry - I'm sure that you're not the oldest one - ;) But if not already done, take a look at the free Apple Manuals for the iPad HERE - can be downloaded as a PDF file to your iDevice - pick the right one for your iOS (I usually read these in iBooks or in GoodReader). Dave

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad Forum John!

OP

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I have already downloaded the guide for ISO 9 and have read most of it. Understanding it is next. I am sure over time I'll get it done. ;)

John

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have already downloaded the guide for ISO 9 and have read most of it. Understanding it is next. I am sure over time I'll get it done. ;)

John
If you've any questions about anything you read in the user guide, but don't understand, don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help.

OP

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. just thought of a question about Security. I notice that some of the I pad are sold with security installed for like a 6 month subscription. Is it needed???

John

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. just thought of a question about Security. I notice that some of the I pad are sold with security installed for like a 6 month subscription. Is it needed???

John
Do you mean something like anti-virus protection or do you mean a password protection app?
iPads don't need anti-virus protection as there are no known viruses in the wild that can infect your iPad.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

John
I could be wrong, but I serious doubt that was a stock iPad from Apple meant for general consumer use. Apple doesn't do that sort of thing.

OP

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I did not think it needed it i.e. anti virus . It may have been password protection???? Can't remember which site or where I seen it. Getting to know my I pad a little better each day.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some more thinking about this protection thing and I'm thinking it may have been some sort of third party extended warranty where you pay by the month. Several Apple resellers have their own extended warranty/insurance plans that you can choose instead of Apple's own extended warranty, AppleCare+.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi John - agree w/ the others, so you might want to explain where your 'noticed that some iPads are sold w/ security installed' - we are all curious, I'm sure. Dave :)

OP

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning Dave. I just went thru all of the history on my desktop dating back 2 weeks. No clues there as to where I may have seen it. I looked at so many ads and reviews before I purchased my mini. I MAY have been comparing the mini to a regular laptop??? I do a lot of research and comparing items before I buy it. I will keep looking and will let everyone know. It could have been like scifan said apple care or an extended warranty. I worked for uncle sam for right at 43 years and the old brain cells leak a lot from over use.

John

OP

2wg68!!9namvet1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
found it at Best Buy. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Offer Varies in Store
Free 6 Months of Internet Security Protection
when you buy a tablet or iPad®
Protect your new device from online threats right from the start with a free 6-month subscription of Internet security software.

Offer varies in store. Excludes packages and Marketplace items. Software may ship separately. tablet or iPad and add it to your cart.
  • The software will be automatically added as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts