What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New customer to this website with Ipad 4 help needed

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I got an alert that someone overseas, I believe the map showed Abu Dhabi (this 80 year old memory isn't the best).
I immediately went to my apple id account and changed password as suggested by alert. Got the email confirmation that password was changed.
Thought everything was ok but went to sign in, said name and/or password weren't correct.
Searched the best I know. Said to do a Apple recovery so did that.
Email confirmation said I would get a call or text 2 hours ago. It's been 8 days since I submitted recovery.
Don't know what to do now. Called Apple and they said couldn't help me.

Only use my ipad for emails, my local senior club in our community and making appointments at my doctors website.

I never go to any weird websites, don't look at naughty stuff, nothing.

My great grandson said I should ask my question here.

Don't know what else to do.

Melvin

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately the recovery process can take quite some time. All you can really do is be patient.

So could take longer than the 8 days their email mentioned?

Thanks for helping me then. I am most appreciative

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think so. You’re welcome and by the way, welcome to the Forum also.

Thank you for that "welcome"

This forum will help me, I'm sure. My beloved wife had what is called a android tablet and she liked better than my Ipad. When she passed last summer, we gave to our great grandchild. He said they were better than Ipad. Like I would know. ha ha ha

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I got an alert that someone overseas, I believe the map showed Abu Dhabi (this 80 year old memory isn't the best).
I immediately went to my apple id account and changed password as suggested by alert. Got the email confirmation that password was changed.
Thought everything was ok but went to sign in, said name and/or password weren't correct.
Searched the best I know. Said to do a Apple recovery so did that.
Email confirmation said I would get a call or text 2 hours ago. It's been 8 days since I submitted recovery.
Don't know what to do now. Called Apple and they said couldn't help me.

Hi Melvin - welcome to the forum! :) (BTW - I'll be 72 y/o in a few months - wife turning the same age tomorrow) - you've already received some great comments, BUT how this all started is not clear in my mind.

This is likely a 'Phishing Scam', so, to help you and others, please respond to the following questions: 1) When this 'alert' appeared, were you browsing a website, e.g. example on Safari; 2) If so, how did you respond to this 'alert', e.g. did you reply via their message, call a phone number, or other; 3) Did the 'alert' request a response and an amount of money; and 4) Who did you receive an 'email confirmation' from and did you pay for such a response?

Also curious about Apple's reaction - assume not from them and they did not want to deal w/ the situation. Please post back so we can understand this situation better - thanks. Dave

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't respond at all. Went right to my account and changed password. After changing password, I received this email from [email protected]

The following changes to your Apple ID, #####@####.com were made on January 4, 2018 at 5:42:20 PM MST:
Password
If you did not make these changes or you believe an unauthorized person has accessed your account, you should change your password as soon as possible from your Apple ID account page at https://appleid.apple.com.
Apple Support

I have always been sure to never click on anything, nor share info, give money, nothing. In fact, and please don't attack me but, when those microsoft people call to "fix my computer", I say stuff to piss them off and to make them hang up on me.

Apple was no help whatsoever. Told me to do search online for remedies.

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Left off, wasn't browsing, just popped up on screen

I was reading online and thought I should ask. When I changed my password after receiving that alert, I never went to my apple id account on my Ipad and "sign out" and then sign in with the new password I created.

Ipad says I am still signed in. And when I get alerts to sign in to my my account, doesn't work with old or new password.

And I still haven't gotten call on recovery submission. Email said it was due yesterday

Last edited:
OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I did recovery from Apple's website. Not any link

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No response from Apples recovery email. Still get Apple ID on IPad asking for password, which never works. When I changed password, I never did log out from the top section under settings. Has my name, picture I use for my name, then says name phone number email, then says password and shipping and then payment options. At the bottom is "sign out"

So, after changing, should I signed out and then signed in with new password?
Haven't done since seeing that as I was worried about not being able to use my IPad if I signed out.

OP
oldfart1

oldfart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Twilight Zone

This morning, push home button so I can check emails, decide to go check password again (even though I know it won't work) entered the new password I created when this whole mess started and IT WORKED!!
I haven't done anything different at all. Hadn't even looked at Scifan57 link yet.

No recovery email from Apple either.

Who wants to explain? This Old Fart is dumbfounded.

Most reactions

Latest posts