What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a new Ipad-need help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is so special about the air 2? I have a mini 2 and I think the specs are very similar to the air if I'm not mistaken.

The Air 2 came out a year after the iPad mini 2, is faster, has a different (better) chipset, scratch-resistant display, a fingerprint sensor, 2 GB of RAM, a better camera...

@ Thomas - you really need to stop 'defending' your iPad Mini 2 - the device was released nearly 4 years ago and is about to become 'vintage' relative to the next iOS release (i.e. 11.x); this fall at the upcoming WWDC, Apple will likely unveil iOS 11 (Source) - your iPad Mini 2 will not be upgradeable - the link predicts the devices that should accept the newest version (first pic from source).

Also, the new iOS will be 64-bit only (Source & second pic below from link) - now your older apps will still work on your Mini w/ iOS 10.x, but if newer versions of those you use and like are released, you will be stuck. In the 'iDevice World', time flies by fast! ;) Dave
iOS11_Comp.png
iOS11_64bit.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to defend it as I just got it this year and won't be able to get better for a long time. Its good enough for me and that's what matters. It does what I need it to do. I understand there is better out there but that will always happen.

Last edited:

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Thomas, my car is over 10 years old and there is nothing wrong with it. The people on here know lots.
I don't do anything special with my car except drive it.
It's my choice to keep it. If l wanted a newer model l would buy one.
If companies stopped making tyres and brakes for it then l would have a problem.
However l would not use the kind of language that you have used over an iPad.
That's just ignorant.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I edited it I don't swear usally on forums. Thank you for replying.
I still have the very first iPad I purchased, an iPad 2, and it's 5 years old now. I do understand why you like your mini.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My wife's first-generation Mini still meets her needs, and she has zero interest in a newer model, nor in updating the handful of apps she uses. OTOH, I really, really like the speed and improved video of my Pro 9.7. Everyone is different.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have to defend it as I just got it this year and won't be able to get better for a long time. Its good enough for me and that's what matters. It does what I need it to do. I understand there is better out there but that will always happen.

Hi Thomas - my point was that you remain happy w/ your iPad Mini 2 - if still working to your satisfaction, then great! However, other members or newbies that come into the forum asking questions about which iPads to buy and what the differences may be deserve the best up-to-date information about the newest hardware and software - your comments should reflect an understanding of what to recommend.

Now, as to using 'older stuff' - I'm a retired professor w/ an eclectic life style - yes, I try to keep up w/ the newest computer hardware/software, but my stereo equipment is dated (speakers go back to the late 1970s - rebuilt but still sounding great), my musical likes are classical & old jazz (e.g. I listen to music from the 14th century), my cars are Camrys w/ the oldest one now 12 years in age (and still working fine), my MP3 music device is an iPod Touch 2G (set on iOS 4.x), and finally I still have a mechanical clock (see image below, corner of my den) - a Howard-Miller 'School House' w/ 2 mechanical key roundups - I bought this in 1975 to help teach my 2 y/o son to read time - now 40+ years old and a 'family heirloom' in a ways - I wind this every Sunday morning and enjoy the experience. I'm a 'history buff' and constantly read about gone by days and own numerous videos on old historical topics - just a little background to help you understand that responding to a post here (or in other forums) requires an understanding of what is needed for a fair & considered response to help the original poster.

I hope that this helps you understand that in giving advice on this or other forums, your information should be researched, accurate, and appropriate to what the poster needs. Dave :)
P1010876.JPG

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well it's kinda hard to do that when the mini 2 is the only iPad I own. I also don't like how people diss me and it when I've seen videos and stuff on YouTube saying the mini 2 is still a good choice in 2017. I also appreciate your post and knowledge. Secondly I find it hard that the mini 2 probably won't get iOS 11 when the mini 3 and 4 are not that much different. I'm sorry for going off but I'm doing my best for what I know.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's kinda hard to do that when the mini 2 is the only iPad I own. I also don't like how people diss me and it when I've seen videos and stuff on YouTube saying the mini 2 is still a good choice in 2017. I also appreciate your post and knowledge. Secondly I find it hard that the mini 2 probably won't get iOS 11 when the mini 3 and 4 are not that much different. I'm sorry for going off but I'm doing my best for what I know.
The iPad mini 3&4 models are 64 bit but the iPad mini 2 is 32 bit. iOS 11 will be 64 bit only which is the reason why the iPad mini 2 and any other 32 bit iOS devices that can run iOS 10 will not get the iOS 11 update.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad mini 3&4 models are 64 bit but the iPad mini 2 is 32 bit. iOS 11 will be 64 bit only which is the reason why the iPad mini 2 and any other 32 bit iOS devices that can run iOS 10 will not get the iOS 11 update.
Actually the mini 2 is a 64 but as well. The only difference between the mini 2&3 is Touch ID. Same as the mini 2 and Air 1. Same guts but the mini 2 is underclocked processor wise.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually the mini 2 is a 64 but as well. The only difference between the mini 2&3 is Touch ID. Same as the mini 2 and Air 1. Same guts but the mini 2 is underclocked processor wise.

Brian and Others - I was curious 'why' Apple is apparently from my previous links going to allow an iOS 11 install on the Mini 3 but not the Mini 2, as noted above and also in the attached comparison chart (Source) - both have the 64-bit A7 processor and the same 1 GB RAM - I'm also assuming that the 'circuity' in both is pretty much identical - both have retina screens; the only main difference as mentioned is the 'fingerprint ID technology' in the newer Mini. My assumption is that Apple can simply interject 'code' in iOS 11 software to distinguish between an attempted install on a Mini 2 vs. Mini 3 and prohibit the process on the earlier device - any other thoughts? Thanks - Dave :)
Mini2vsMini3.png

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the fine details but generally the iOS servers can determine which device you are trying to update. The only excuse for Apple not to allow iOS 11 on the mini 2 would be the lack of Touch ID, meaning that it's likely the air 1 shouldn't be able to run iOS 11 based on that logic.
I'll be surprised that is the case for either device when iOS 11 is officially unveiled.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that is a the correct attitude to take, cause in the world of Apple no one really knows anything until it happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts