What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

networking and name resolution

ncsbrendon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ncs.co.nz
Hi,

I've been given an iPad 3 (wifi version) for work and I'm having trouble getting it to resolve names correctly.

I've connected it to a wireless access point and I can navigate around our LAN via IP addresses, but we have a number of web products which are licenced via their hostnames.

Is there a way that I can set up some sort of hosts table entries or is there some other form of relating ip addresses to host names within the iPad?

From what I've read on the interweb this can be done by jailbreaking the device, but I really don't want to do that as I need to show clients the functionality and getting them to jailbreak their devices just isn't going to fly.

I imagine that this is something that has come up before but my search results were just a little odd, so if you can point me at another relevant post that would be cool too.

Many thanks

Brendon

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you are on the specific IP address viewing it from Safari on your iPad press the arrow right button towards the top left of the screen to make a bookmark or send the page to your home screen. When you do this you have the option to rename the page to what ever you like. If you save them to the home screen you can then put all of the shortcuts into 1 folder and name the folder what ever you like as well. This should work for your application. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts