What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

network drive

mw0hmv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. Need some advice here.
I have a 3TB network drive a lap top and an ipad 2. I want to keep all my media on my external drive and and use itunes on my ipad to listen/watch it. Is it as easy as droping my media files on to the network drive and using domething like File Browser to veiw and play them ??

Thanks for any help.

Daran

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what I do. I use file browser for pictures and buzz player for videos.

OP
M

mw0hmv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will i be able to use i tunes on my ipad to to play the music files or will i have to do something else?

Last edited:

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as i know, itunes on the iPad is just the store. I can play music from the network drive with file browser.

Winam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rene-photography.de
If i understand you correctly, you want to play your music directly from the external drive, if yes, i'm pretty sure, that it is not possible. Yoou need to sync it through itunes or the iphone browser.

If you install a media server like tversity or twonky on your laptop, you could access the media server on the ipad if you are on the same network. You need a special client software on your ipad for that

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk!

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
One way to do it with iTunes would be to set-up iTunes on your laptop to use the media files stored on the network drive (if it isn't already set-up that way), turn on Home Sharing on the laptop iTunes, and then use the iPad Music or Video apps to stream the music/vids from your laptop. The downside of this is that your laptop would have to be always on. As far as I know, the native Music/Videos apps on the iPad can not stream directly from an external drive.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From file browser:
Video / Audio Streaming
Tapping a file with an audio or video icon on a remote server will
stream it automatically.
For movies such as DivX or AVI you need to use Open In to send
them to a compatible application (such as CineXPlayer). Large
movie files may take some time to start.

Repeat & Shuffle play mode for audio/video files.
Look in the config tab for the repeat and shuffle options.

OP
M

mw0hmv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To start with, thanks for all the info so far.
Right.......from what you guy's ar saying the only way i can streem music direct from a network drive to my ipad is with an external app such as File browser ?

mamurao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use file browser for pictures and buzz player for videos i have a dns 323 and wl700ge NAS, works well ,

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a router (ASUS RT-N56U) that has USB PORTS and a built-in Media Server and supports iTunes. I set the shares and move my files to the shared folders on the 2 drives. Then use AIRAV to play them all.

Irv S.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Psunate77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this setup through file browser, but when I click on my portable drive it says failed to emunate folder.

Most reactions

Latest posts