What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need IP Address/DMCA Notice Help

daker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello iPad Forum. I realize this has nothing to do with an iPad or Apple, but I don't know where else I can get help.

I received a DMCA Notice from my internet provider, however I am absolutely positive I was not the person who downloaded the file in question. On the day this copyrighted file was downloaded, a friend (that i know downloads movies & TV shows) was at my apartment and on the internet. Said friend denies they downloaded the file.

I was given the IP address from my internet provider, but how can I figure out what machine had the IP XX.XX.XXX.24? I realize all the machines hooked up to my wireless router (which is password protected) will have the same numbers for the ones X'd out. Is there a way to figure out which computer had 24 as their last digits?

If my friend is lying, I'd like to catch him on it. If they were truthful and did not download it, how can I protect myself? This positively wasn't me, and my wireless router is password protected, so how else could somebody be on my network and download the file?

Also, has anyone tired to refute a DMCA Notice? If this wasn't my friend, I'm going to refute this notice. What happens if I do refute it, and what type of investigation will there be? I don't know where this file is, so I could I even remove it?

Thanks for your help, I'm in great need if it right now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go into your router interface there should be a log (if enabled) that records all connections and other activities on the router. If you find it, copy the log by whatever means possible. They are usually set to overwrite themselves when they run out of space.

With luck the log will include the MAC address of any devices along with the IP addresses assigned.

I can't help you with the legal end of things. I believe The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) makes it their business to help people with these types of issues. Might be worth visiting their site at any rate.

Electronic Frontier Foundation | Defending Freedom in the Digital World

Most reactions

Latest posts