What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need IOS update info

Tech Challenged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Noobie with ipad 4 wifi, stock with ios 6. Noticed alert for software update to ios 6.1.2. Can I update to 6.1.2 without issue. Does 6.1.2 include all previous updates in between 6 and 6.1.2 or am I forever stuck on ios 6? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your device is a stock device, updating using either Settings.app or iTunes wouldn't result in any issues. If your device is currently on iOS 6.0 and you want to upgrade to iOS 6.1.2, it won't download each and every update (6.0.1, 6.1) and install them individually, it'll go for the changes and just adds on top of what you already have currently

OP
T

Tech Challenged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
willerz2, thanks for the response. If I understand correctly, I can update from 6.0 directly to 6.1.2.

Thanks again.

OP
T

Tech Challenged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated via itunes without any problems. I assume I should do a backup next. Is there anything else I should do with/to the IOS in preparation of a JB?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. If you've upgraded to iOS 6.1.2 and done a backup, you're all set. Jail break away! :)

Have fun!

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Periodically make backups of your device, especially if you have major changes performed.

OP
T

Tech Challenged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. Still contemplating a JB and Ill probably seek assistance on a JB thread when its time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. Still contemplating a JB and Ill probably seek assistance on a JB thread when its time.

If you do decide to jailbreak, the newest update for iOS, iOS 6.1.3, which will be released any time now is not jailbroken. Therefore, you should not upgrade past iOS 6.1.2.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you do decide to jailbreak, the newest update for iOS, iOS 6.1.3, which will be released any time now is not jailbroken. Therefore, you should not upgrade past iOS 6.1.2.

But as long as you're on iOS 6.1.2 until iOS 6.1.3 is released, you'll be fine. Definitely dive into the iPad Hacking section, look around the stickies and if you have questions, of course ask straight away to clear confusion.

Most reactions