What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help with IPad Features

juliakatte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all

I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about this device just so I'm certain this will be what I need.

This is my most important question: What's the deal with the IPad as an ebook reader? My main concern is getting many techincal books/journals that I already have in .pdf format on my PC over to the IPad. If that isn't possible this device will be worthless to me. Any thoughts? I've never used an ebook reader (they are simply too small for me) so I'm open to anything at this point.

What really is the difference between a G3 model and the one with only Wi-Fi. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Wi-Fi work in, say, Starbucks where you can get the internet there? Whereas the G3 is used for both a phone and internet hookup anywhere...or am I missing something? The WiFI may very well be enough for me.

At that point it's really just what memory I need. Any see a VERY good reason to go beyond the basic 16G? If so, let's hear what you have to say.

Basically, I'm really hoping that this device will be for me. I haven't bought an Apple device in YEARS...I went PC (heh) about 11 years ago due to lack of software I need (basically more obscure engineering software that won't run on Macs) so getting back to my origins (Mac user back to 1984) will be nice change.
redface.gif

Thanks for any help you can give!

EDIT: Any concern of not having a USB port? Will that hinder my porting of .pdf files over to the IPad???

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the device is to be used exclusively as an e-reader, 16GB would be more than sufficient, and 3G connectivity would be of little use.
Given the capabilities of the iPad, I find it doubtful that the other functions would lie fallow for long.

A number of applications are available for viewing .pdf files, Goodreader being one of the more popular.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G give you the ability to work away from wifi connections, like in the field, or on the road. It can also be used as an alternative in hotels that charge a big fee for internet service. Also, since you can have all your e-mail accounts pushed to it, you have 24 hour access to your e-mails. If you use a GPS for travel or mapping, the function in the iPad is well worth it.

The amount of memory is hard to answer. There are many options that can influence your usage. If money is not a major concern, the 32 GB or 64GB would be adequate. I would suspect that most users would have between 10-20 GB of regular storage need. Even if you do not need it, it can be a comfort to have lots of storage available. When I consider that my first Apple computer only had a 40 MB hard drive, I do not doubt the ability to fill a hard drive.

Most reactions