What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help deciding what to buy

RJ551

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at a 32 gig first generation ipad or a 16 gig ipad 2. Just can't afford the 32 gig ipad 2. Which one should I buy and why?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at a 32 gig first generation ipad or a 16 gig ipad 2. Just can't afford the 32 gig ipad 2. Which one should I buy and why?

Since you are dollar bound ... the 32 GB original ipad is $499 at Verizon if they still have them in stock. That is a $100 saving. On the other hand, that is the same price as the 16GB iPad2. Technically the iPad2 is faster, thinner, a bit lighter, and has magnetic on/off (which is really nice, but is not available in the original ipad). The iPad2 will handle some of the new apps that are being developed that need the graphics support that only the ipad2 has. There are ways to get around lower storage. However, you can not upgrade a 16 GB to a 32 GB after the fact. You live with what ever you buy, until you get an entirely different Unit. Magnetic on/off works with the new Smart Cover from Apple ... an extra $40 plus tax.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally depends on usage. If you need cameras, GPU speed, or latest OS tweaks, go iPad2. If large music, video library and willing to jailbreak, go iPad1.

I don't keep my full library on iPad, so 16GB is plenty. Maybe ask how much memory people use. BTW, cloud music is coming.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Nugga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Realistdreamer your incorrect.
When iPad 1 came out there was no reason to go for more than 16gb if you didn't have a huge media libary.
Today though apps start to exceed 1gb each, and i guess even more when apps which takes ful advantage of the iPad 2 GPU.
As 16gb only leaves you about 14gb for apps, you could easily use 10 of them in 5-10 apps in the future.

i would save some money and then go for the 32gb ipad 2 wifi only when you can afford it.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 32gb and thought about getting pad 2 but could only afford 16gb. I have to admit the memory is needed more than quickness, lightness etc…. I've stayed with 32gb and hopefully buy iPad 3 in future.

Swingman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 1 is obviously the better bargain. Getting last gen tech is already the better bargain.

On the flip side, buying newer tech should make it last longer before you feel the need to replace it.

The decision likely comes down to how long you plan on using it before getting it replaced. If you're able to take good care of your ipad and can make it's usefulness last then I'd spend the extra money on the ipad 2.

My strategy is buy new initially but then replace with refurbished last gen items after 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts