What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help connecting my iPad to a Onkyo TX-8511 Receiver

Sarah woodburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the proper cable but none of the portals are connecting. Also, which setting should it be on ie. cd,tuner,tape.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sarah

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly what are you trying to do? How do you plan to connect your iPad to the receiver and what do you want to happen? What cable do you have and how does it connect to your iPad?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the proper cable but none of the portals are connecting. Also, which setting should it be on ie. cd,tuner,tape.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sarah

Because your receiver does not have Bluetooth capability you need a cable that has a 1/8" stereo jack that feeds two RCA jacks (one right channel and one left channel RCA jack). This cable will plug into your iPad's headphone connection with the 1/8" jack and into one of your receiver's input sections with the RCA jacks.

If you do not have a CD hooked up to your receiver that will be the best choice, otherwise Tape-1 or Video-1. Remember, the input to the receiver may damage the input stage if turned up too much on the iPad (I do not know if your receiver has a limiting circuit on the input stages or if the iPad will automatically switch to line level out if it senses what it is hooked into) so have your iPad volume down to at least half until you can compare output levels with another source.

Set the volume on the receiver to a comfortable level using a record, CD, VCR, DVD or radio. Now select the input you hooked the iPad to and play some music. Adjust your iPad's output level up or down until the sound is really close to the level with your reference source.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only input you should not use is Phono. This is a special input for use only with turntable, and has different characteristics to the others. As far as I can remember, its output is biased towards the treble, and will give strange results.

Here is a link to a PDF for your receiver if you don't already have one.
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-8511_manual_e.pdf

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts