What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Advice On New iPad

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 won't recharge despite a new charger. It's several years old so I think it's time for a new iPad. Separate post about that coming up.

I'm looking for advice. I see Air, Pro, etc. I had iPad 2 with 16mg ram. I'm seeking a similar one but maybe a little more memory. What does each do that plain iPad doesn't.

Budget of $600 roughly.

I have a mini but with my bad eyes I have trouble seeing the tiny letters

Thank you. Guess I should mention I'm a Windows person and iOS is still new to me. I have amnesia so the easier to use the better.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple sells refurbished iPads through its online store which offer a savings over new units and which come with a full Apple warranty.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At this point, I'd hesitate to recomend even the 32 GB models, unless you're doing nothing but browsing the internet and playing a few casual games. It's probalby sufficient to the moment, but you'll be feeling the pinch in a year to two, and it sounds like you keep your iPads for at least that long.

Other than that, my recomendation is the same as always. Buy the newest you can afford, as long as it also has sufficient storage. The older the iPad the sooner you'll need another replacement. The short term cheaper iPad often turns into the long term much more expensive as you end up replacing your iPad more frequently.

Of course, this easy for me to say, since it's not my money. :oops:

Let me act the devil for the moment and point out that most cellular vendors sell iPads on an installment plan. If you already have a smartphone plan you can usually add a tablet for as little as $10 a month plus tablet payments around $25 a month. Sometimes they have promotions that make the initial tablet plan even cheaper. Worth looking at anyway, just keep an eye on the commitment and penalty clauses for bailing early.

Also, ask about early loan buyout. You could use that $600 to knock the payments down from 2 years to a few months.

Yes, this is what I do. I'm weak and easily tempted by new toys. I used to save my monty untill I could get the newest iPad, but I crumbled at some point along the way. :rolleyes:

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally reccomend the mini 2 it has retina display witch is supposed to be easy on the eyes.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I personally reccomend the mini 2 it has retina display witch is supposed to be easy on the eyes.

Hello Thomas - the iPad Mini 2 is going on 4 years of age; my wife has the Mini 4 w/ 64 GB - also has the upgraded Apple A8 & M8 processors plus twice the RAM vs. the Mini 2 - if our OP was thinking about a Mini, then I would certainly suggest the Mini 4 if the device fits his or her budget, i.e. Wi-Fi only vs. cellular being determining factors; of course, refurbished models would be cheaper if offered by Apple.

HOWEVER, our OP mentioned the eyes - I'm 70 y/o and read a LOT of books & magazines on my iPad Air 2 w/ retina display (use prescription glasses w/ a slight increase in magnification) - works fine for me - I would not want to read these on my wife's Mini despite the retina display. My suggestion to the OP is an iPad Air 2 like I own - the screen is bigger, the resolution great, and reading much easier - I would also recommend at least a 64 GB model - now looking on the Apple Website, seems like this model is offered as either a 32 GB or 128 GB model - for Wi-Fi only the 128 GB device is priced at $500 for the Wi-Fi only model (not sure what our OP wants as to connectivity?). Dave :)

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point, I'd hesitate to recomend even the 32 GB models, unless you're doing nothing but browsing the internet and playing a few casual games. It's probalby sufficient to the moment, but you'll be feeling the pinch in a year to two, and it sounds like you keep your iPads for at least that long.

Other than that, my recomendation is the same as always. Buy the newest you can afford, as long as it also has sufficient storage. The older the iPad the sooner you'll need another replacement. The short term cheaper iPad often turns into the long term much more expensive as you end up replacing your iPad more frequently.

Of course, this easy for me to say, since it's not my money. :oops:

Let me act the devil for the moment and point out that most cellular vendors sell iPads on an installment plan. If you already have a smartphone plan you can usually add a tablet for as little as $10 a month plus tablet payments around $25 a month. Sometimes they have promotions that make the initial tablet plan even cheaper. Worth looking at anyway, just keep an eye on the commitment and penalty clauses for bailing early.

Also, ask about early loan buyout. You could use that $600 to knock the payments down from 2 years to a few months.

Yes, this is what I do. I'm weak and easily tempted by new toys. I used to save my monty untill I could get the newest iPad, but I crumbled at some point along the way. :rolleyes:

I think that the cellular vendor route is a convenient option. I got my Air and Mini 4 (32gb) this way.....got good deals as a long time customer (no upfront costs) with more data than I'll ever need.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know how the mini 2 can be going on 4 years of age when I just got mine this year a 32 gig brand new from Walmart on January 6. There is nothing wrong with mini 2. It does everything I ever wanted from a tablet since I'm a wifi person and also have a pretty decent main computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know how the mini 2 can be going on 4 years of age when I just got mine this year a 32 gig brand new from Walmart on January 6. There is nothing wrong with mini 2. It does everything I ever wanted from a tablet since I'm a wifi person and also have a pretty decent main computer.

Hi Thomas - the iPad Mini 2 was released in the fall of 2013 (see Wiki chart below - Source) and is still available on the Apple Website, although your device may not be approaching 4 years of age, the technology inside is still dated - if interested, check out the link for the specs - I suspect that you will be upgrading to a newer model in the near future (but just a guess) - ;) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.56.11 PM.png

Marlb10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So did you get the new iPad?

I have iPad air 2. 32 gb and is working like SHAKIRA! I am absolutely in love with my iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, our OP has not returned in 2 months? But Apple's new iPad would fit his/her needs quite well - basically an iPad Air 2 (see chart below) and at a price w/i the budget quoted - again, I would recommended the 128 GB storage (64 GB is kind of a 'sweet spot' but not offered), plus going from 32 -> 128 is just an additional $100 - I'd get the Wi-Fi, so no added cost (see second pic from the Apple website); cellular would be about $130 more - finally, I've always added AppleCare to my Apple purchases. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 6.26.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 11.43.24 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts