What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some advice from you guys...

Ellythrion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and just thought I'd ask you all for your opinions on which iPad model to go for now I've decided to get me one.

Firstly, I'm not bothered about waiting for the iPad 2 - I've got an iPhone 4 so things like the front facing camera and facetime I can do on there and hardly use now anyway (I also have an iMac with built-in iSight so use Skype for practically all of my video calling).

Anyhow here is what I currently have:

* 32GB iPhone 4
* 27" iMac with 1TB HDD
* 500GB external HDD compatible with my iMac

Having the iPhone 4 I'm reluctant to get the 3G iPad as I don't see the point in paying a monthly plan for services I can get on my iPhone 4. I'm therefore mostly in debate about whether to get the 16 or 32GB iPad as I do have *plenty* of external storage and can quite easily transfer my photos/apps/videos etc onto my iMac and external Hard Drive very easily and quickly with plenty of room to spare.

I run a couple of businesses and am a qualified film producer so would like to use my iPad as a portable interactive business card with my portfolio and showreel on as well as emails, contacts and all of my business plans and documentation.

With this in mind which iPad do you think I would be best going for? As I've said I can't stress enough how fast and seamless data exchange is between my iMac and iPhone so have no reason to presume it would be any different with an iPad?

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 32gb refurb from Apple for the same price as a new 16gb, so that's the one I would recommend. I figure it's a good compromise.

OP
E

Ellythrion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion but I won't be ordering direct from apple purely because I'll be taking it out on 12 month interest free credit.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case a 16gb should be sufficient unless you plan on downloading a bunch of video/music.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely get the 32G. I've had mine only 6 months, have 164 apps, no videos, and only have 2.5G left! Many apps take up a lot of memory.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ellythrion, you know better than we how big HD videos can be. I also take my iPad with me for business and i'll tell you that in theory, you can just move stuff on and off at will, but in practice, you realize that you need more than you think. The reason being when you think you understand what a client wants and you prepare the data in advance, only to have them change the subject entirely and the examples you need are at home on the hard drive.

True story - it has happened to me

I say go 64 gig, and 3G because you ARE going to forget stuff and need to go grab it from your company server or have it emailed from other staff.

iDonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I owned a 32GB iPod and thought that 32 GB iPad would do the trick for me.
When running it for a while with lots of videos I found out that iPad videos are normally bigger then iPod videos.
Based on this I should have got me a 64GB iPad
Alse the apps for iPad are much bigger then the iPod apps, in general

Most reactions