What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need 1password for iPad help

Kenstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought 1Password for iPad last night and so far I'm regretting it. I've known about the app for years on Mac but never used it, so I don't have it on my laptop. Now I have the app I realise that all the people singing its praises collected their passwords on their Mac and then loaded them into the iPad version.

As I have only the iPad version I have to manually create every entry I want 1password to help me with, and it won't auto-generate passwords for me to use.

So I have decided to persevere with it. I have found out how to add website logins and have them work.

What I can't figure out is how to add app logins to 1password. Kindle and Google Play for example.

One of the other things I am very disappointed about is the complete lack of help in the app or on the developer's website as to how to actually use the various functions of the app.

I don't enjoy being negative. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a piece of mature, highly rated software.

Any advice welcome.

Ken.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is their Knowledge Base, just in case you did not stumble across it.

Knowledge Base - AgileBits Support

I'm not sure what you mean by adding app logins. While you can store pretty much any info you want, there is no way for 1Password to open and log into an app. This is a limitation no password app can overcome on an iPad, at least not without jailbreaking.

I'm afraid I'm one of those persons who has the app on several platforms, and syncs through DropBox. As such I've only occasionally added new entries on the iPad itself (mostly the Wallet stuff).

If you have a DropBox account, and choose to sync 1Password with it (even if there is nothing else to sync to) you can use it to access (and edit) content via your web browser. Go to the DropBox sight, log in, and navigate to the 1Password folder. Inside the agilekeychain folder you will find an html file. Click on it to launch the browser based app.

DropBox itself is encrypted, and the file is further encrypted by the 1Password app; so it is safe enough. I probably wouldn't keep information vital to he security of the country there, but I'm not worried about my own passwords and info.

khad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

First, thanks for using 1Password. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble getting started.

You can create a new "Account" item in the "Accounts" section on the left. Just tap "Accounts" and then tap the "+" button that you would use in the "Logins" section.

I myself just have a "Login" item saved for my Amazon account and copy/paste the password from there into the Kindle app. But I only needed to do that once since the Kindle app "remembers" my password.

If you need further assistance and you've not already contacted us directly, you can use the link that twerppoet shared or just click the "Support" link at the top of any page on our website.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,

OP
K

Kenstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Gents,

I'll just use 1password to record app logins rather than automating login.

This is a good example of what is frustrating me. There is nothing on the website or on Youtube that gives simple, basic instruction on how to use the iPad version. So I didn't know what to expect from the app.

So is it correct that 1Password for iPad can automate login for websites via its browser, and that is all that is it capable of automating? Can it, for example, automate entry of credit card information and/or personal information in sales websites?

Ken.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad does something called sandboxing; a security feature that greatly improves it's resistance to malware and viruses. This isolates one app from making changes to any other app. It's not isolated to 1Password. No app can automatically log you in or fill out fields in another app.

Even the ability to take you to a website does not break this rule. 1Password uses it's own built in web browser when you visit a site directly from the app.

To use 1Password in another app, tap on the password field and you will get a copy option. Use this to copy&paste your password to other apps. I use this when the password is overly complicated. Otherwise I mostly use the iPad app to lookup user IDs and passwords I've forgotten; or other things like software keys and credit card numbers.

A little more info you may find useful:

If you look in Safari's AutoFill settings you'll see that it does have the ability to remember Names and Passwords for sites you have logged into previously. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it does not. It depends very much on exactly how each site implements it's login page. Sites that use popups and/or pulldown menus (both becoming all too popular) often don't work well with auto-fill.

You can also give Safari a Contact to use for other autofill functions; such as the sales sites you mentioned. If you normal MyContact is too complicated for it to figure out, create a contact just for web forms, and point to it instead.

Happily the 1Password plug in on the iMac (Safari and Chrome) does an excellent job with both of these. As long as I expose the login fields first, anyway.

1Password is a good app on the iPad; however it's true beauty comes through when you've got it on all your devices and computers. It's that integration that sold it to me. I almost never look at Apple's Keychain utility anymore.

Last edited:

khad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say too much since we don't normally pre-announce products or feature, but we are cooking up some things I think you will really appreciate. Right now the built-in browser only fills web Logins, no Credit Card or Identity filling like the desktop apps. We would love to integrate directly with Mobile Safari if Apple ever allows this, but for now we are focusing on making the built-in browser even better. :)

Contact us anytime (or send me a PM here) if you need anything.

I'm not allowed to post links on this forum yet, and I've been scolded for having a link in my signature, but the "Support" link on any page of the AgileBits site will get you in touch with the rest of my friendly co-workers. :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, Khad. Good to know that 1Password is due to get better. I can't say I expected anything less given past performance, but nice to know it is not just wishful thinking. :)

ssteiny348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have dropbox and I am looking at 1password. Can I update my 1password on my desktop or will I need to add it all on my ipad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have 1Password for you Desktop (available for just about every flavor of OS) you can edit it there. If you set up syncing to DropBox on both the iPad and Desktop version, you can add/edit/delete your information on both platforms. Syncing is automatic on the Desktop, but manual on the iPad. Though once you start the sync on the iPad you can go do something else; it will finnish on it's own.

You don't need the desktop version if all you wan is to edit/manage the items from the desktop. When you sync your iPad version to DropBox it will create a 1Password folder structure. Dig down to the 1Password.html file and open it in any reasonably modern browser. You'll be able to use a web interface to view/edit/modify/delete your entries.

However: I recommend getting the 1Password app for your computer. If you like the app on the iPad you are going to love it on your computer; the browser extensions (available for most browsers) make it even more useful. I got the 1Password app for the computer version because of it's utility. From there adding it to the iPad so I'd have the same stuff everywhere was a natural.

Most reactions

Latest posts