What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation inside a field on iPad.

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand one can touch and hold to bring up the magnifying glass, then drag to position the insertion point in a field. I find it is very awkward in doing that. First of all my finger is blocking my sight. Next the movement is very delicate and sensitive, often stops at the wrong place. Thirdly, where there are lots of characters it takes ages to get to where one wants, especially when one wants to get to the very beginning or to the end of the field.

Any easy way to go about it? Is there some home key and end key, left-arrow key and right-arrow key?

How to select only certain sequence of characters instead of the whole lot? It seems to me it only allow to select all or in case of URL field in Safari some section predefined by iPad or Safari.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand one can touch and hold to bring up the magnifying glass, then drag to position the insertion point in a field. I find it is very awkward in doing that. First of all my finger is blocking my sight. Next the movement is very delicate and sensitive, often stops at the wrong place. Thirdly, where there are lots of characters it takes ages to get to where one wants, especially when one wants to get to the very beginning or to the end of the field.

Any easy way to go about it? Is there some home key and end key, left-arrow key and right-arrow key?

How to select only certain sequence of characters instead of the whole lot? It seems to me it only allow to select all or in case of URL field in Safari some section predefined by iPad or Safari.

Unfortunately, there isn't an up/down/right or left arrow on the iPad.

It takes some getting used to with cut/copy and paste. It took me a little bit to successfully do it, but sometimes I have to do it a few times to catch all I want to select. Moving your cursor to a certain section needs practice as well when touching the area you want to move to. I am not certain if external keyboards for iPads has the arrow feature, but maybe others can chime in with that info.

Otherwise, hang in there...you'll get the hang of it. :)

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I omit to mention I would like to be able to select some words or characters on web pages for copy and paste too. At the moment, it doesn't seem to allow to select any sequence of characters but the whole lot. When selected the copy function does not come up either.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I omit to mention I would like to be able to select some words or characters on web pages for copy and paste too. At the moment, it doesn't seem to allow to select any sequence of characters but the whole lot. When selected the copy function does not come up either.

Sometimes it will catch the whole page to and I have to repeat the process. Sometimes I will try to start in the middle of the paragraph and drag the endpoints to the designated spots.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! It does take a lot of practice, especially my finger is so thick when compared with the print.

By the way such type of selection doesn't seem to work on PDF file. Am I right?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts