What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My perfect iPad. What would you change?

Wrxified

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.
- Steve Jobs

Don't take this the wrong way. It's awesome in many regards. My only intention for starting this thread is to draw attention to the areas that I believe the iPad could be made better. I do believe Apple is innovative. To be innovative you need to be in touch with your customers day-to-day needs and desires. I also know there are ways to accomplish some of these through hacks, jailbreaks etc. I don't want to deal with the questions that surround every software update release Apple puts out and wondering what will and won't work if you take an update and such. I'm talking more about what I believe would make the iPad better right out of the box. These aren't in any order of importance. Just started a list while at work last week and this is what I came up with in a few days.

Functionality

• Multiple User Accounts – While I understand that there is no single device that can meet all of the needs of every user, I initially started down the path of exploring the iPad as a device to replace an aging Apple Powerbook G4. Purchased in 2005 this device has been an invaluable tool to our family however over the years as we invested in newer hardware (iMac & Mac Mini), the Powerbook has gradually become our “living room” machine. By that I mean it’s still used quite a bit more than the other devices in our home, however it’s sole purpose is almost entirely dedicated to surfing the internet, checking email and ordering take-out meals. It serves it’s purpose quite well for a device that is coming up on 6 years old. It actually does remarkably well compared to even my 1.5 year old Dell that I use for work. The only reason we considered replacing it is that it’s battery is shot and the power cord after having been tripped over a half a dozen times or so, works only when positioned just right. It’s difficult to justify dropping another $200-$300 into accessories on a machine of this age. Cosmetically it’s a mess. The aluminum shell looks as if the machine was used on a construction site (the joys of having 4 kids). Having said all that, the idea of not being able to set up multiple user accounts on the iPad is somewhat of an issue. We subscribe to the MobileMe service. Mainly because I can host my family's actual website at no additional charge. Both my wife and I use the calendar, contact and email syncing. The iPhone and iPad can only sync one account for the Calendar and Contacts. This means one of us has to use the online version of the calendar and contacts if we want to each use the iPad. That or we need 2 iPads.
  • Access to file folders - Having some sort of access to file folders is beneficial or at least the ability to create a “My Documents” folder to send documents and files. Storing documents only in the application itself limits the iPads purpose. This really comes from the idea of truly “holding the internet in your hands”. In order for me to truly do this I need to be able to do everything I would normally do on a typical computer that accesses the internet. My thought is it would be ideal to be able to save different documents such as pictures, PDF’s etc. Where I see the biggest need is for instance creating an auction on eBay. I would like to be able to do this on a device such as the iPad. If I create an auction I need to be able to upload pictures to eBay to present in the auction.
  • Need to be able to print - Seems like a logical request. We have a device that has WiFi built in. When I’m home and I’m on the network I have access to my WiFi enabled printer through all of my other machines. I’d like to benefit from this printer with my iPad. I do realize there are printing applications out on the App Store but all of them have some pretty mixed reviews. Printing should be built in as a feature on the iPad.
  • Ability to sort Apps by function - I know that OS 4.0 has the folders feature coming. It would be great if this feature can sort applications by type. I’m on my 3rd iPhone. Ever since the App Store launched I’ve never liked having to sort the applications. I’m an App Junkie and I don’t have the time to be sifting through them and sorting them by page so I have for instance all of my media apps on one page. It would be great to have some sort of auto sort feature that puts all of your Photography Apps on a certain page.
  • Give me back my weather and stocks apps?!?! - I want them back. I'm talking about the weather and stock apps that come standard on the iPhone. These two apps are on my first app page on the phone and are accessed religiously. I want Apple to add them to iPad.

Aesthetics & Physical
  • Bigger Screen - Not to be confused with bigger device or widescreen so don't take this the wrong way. I think the screen is almost a home run however…. It sure would be a lot cooler if the engineers could’ve squeezed another 1” diagonally out of the screen. There would be challenges I'm sure. Battery life, where to put the home button etc. I read the thread about users wanting widescreen. Widescreen is not nearly as important to me as more usable working space. If I'm going to immerse myself in the movie experience it's not going to be on anything less than 50" diagonal. :p
  • Expandable Memory- I can understand the basis for launching the iPad with a max of 64GB. Price considerations come into effect when a manufacturer looks at using the highest available memory component in a device such as the iPad. With 128GB now becoming available you know it will only be a matter of time before the memory find it’s way into the iPad. My first attempt at syncing my 64GB resulted in the iTunes sync error notifying me that all of the media I was looking to transfer exceeded that of the device. The result was a lot of selective choices being made on what I truly needed/wanted on my device. In an ideal world my perfect iPad would come with expandable memory, a slot for external storage.

Last edited:

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more you add things like multiple user accounts and file systems (and yes, I'd like them too) the more you turn the iPad into a computer like we've had for decades and to which so many people find confusing and hard to use. Maybe have simple mode/geek mode as a setting so that those of us who aren't confused by hierarchical file systems can have one while hiding it from most people.

I want night mode in my iBooks app -- and I want Stanza for the iPad.

I'd really like a memory card slot.

ITunes for linux.

An open App Store, or the ability to have OTHER app stores. Again, control for those who prefer it, and options for those of us more adventurous.

Flash support. Again, for those of use who want it. Crappy or not. Battery hog or not. Even if Apple didn't support it, I wish they didn't actively work to keep it off.

Ability to have Safari work with google docs for editing. Search within a page in Safari.

And a d@mn web cam so my mom could buy an ipad instead of a laptop because she wants to skype with the grandkids.

Lee

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with most said here except I wouldn't touch the screen. The 'null' area around the screen is useful for grabbing and turning without accidentally selecting something.

Main thing I would add is some kind of fix for arrow keys.

FirstApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am missing the vibration feedback each time I touch the keyboard on my Viliv EX70.:)

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything mentioned by topic starter, plus a revised magnifying glass/curser. Text input, highlighting, c/p, insert, scrolling and deleting is paifully slow and counterproductive on iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of your software enhancements are available by jailbreak. Most of your requests have already been announced door this fall. As for hardware, I don't see how the dvice being any bigger would help it....and as for memory, it uses solid state memory that is very close to the CPU for a reason...speed. Sd cards are slow, that's why you can't install android apps to the card making it basically useless. Trust me 64gb is plenty...I have been trying to fill it up, and I can't get below 40.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As much as you want the weather and stock apps, I don't want them. And if they are preinstalled, they cannot be removed. You can get free stock and weather apps to download, why add something to all iPads that many would not want?

OP
W

Wrxified

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of your software enhancements are available by jailbreak. Most of your requests have already been announced door this fall. As for hardware, I don't see how the dvice being any bigger would help it....and as for memory, it uses solid state memory that is very close to the CPU for a reason...speed. Sd cards are slow, that's why you can't install android apps to the card making it basically useless. Trust me 64gb is plenty...I have been trying to fill it up, and I can't get below 40.

Yeah but like I said I don't want to jailbreak it. I don't want to have to worry about what updates will or won't work. For the memory I would want it to be able to store large assortments of photos and music. I couldn't get nearly all of the stuff I wanted to fit on it with my first attempt. Had to selectively start pulling off certain artists and shows and sift through my photos to get me to about 45gb used.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some ask for all of the functionality of a laptop in present iPad form. And right away, too.

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forward facing Web cam

320 GB Storage capacity

Full iTunes with the ability to sync with iPods.

Powered USB Port with no restrictions

SDXC Card reader

Cheaper Price Points

Unlimited 3G Data Plans

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some ask for all of the functionality of a laptop in present iPad form. And right away, too.

Yeah, lots of people want that, and I hope Apple doesn't listen to them. People tend to ask more and more of these devices, making them more and more complex - then they start bit-er, complaining about how they bloated and unreliable.

The cleverness of the iPad is that it's simple and pared down. Imagine that all cars had the same start-up procedure of a plane. Tons of gauges, dozens of checks, whether you're heading across country or down to the local McDonalds. You'd want something simpler for those times when you don't need all that equipment.

That's what the iPad gives you. No, it doesn't do everything a laptop can, but it also doesn't have the same learning curve, resource requirements, and other shortcomings that you get. It's a de net trade-off, IMO.

My wishes are small. More capacity, but that's pretty much a given anyway. Scroll keys or even the ability to use the shift key to reverse the direction of the delete key, so you aren't stuck with backspacing. No multitasking, no bigger display, no bells, no whistles. :ipad-keyboard:

Laren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to see a way to display photos in alphanumeric order and cursor keys to move the cursor in text fields.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with it as is. I have no desire to share my ipad with anyone and don't need or want multiple user accounts. We each have our own desktop computers at home too.

Don't need any sort of camera, I don't video chat.

I only print on my desktop at most a couple times a year, I don't need the ability on ipad

I sort my apps myself, it's really not hard.

I have a killer free weather app, I don't have a need to follow stocks hourly or daily.

If I wanted a bigger screen I use the macbook pro

Most reactions

Latest posts