What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mini died!

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning, mini users. I have a most unusual occurrence. I was using my mini in the car for directions, as is not uncommon, and I noticed that it needed to be charged. Again, as is common, I plugged it in w/ the Verizon charger that I keep in there. I was holding it (I'm passenger), put it down for a sec, and when I picked it up it was DEAD. Would not turn any 'off-er' would not turn on (two button reset, etc...)

Has anyone experienced this, heard of it, have a solution or know anything about this? I will be taking it to the Verizon store on Fri.

thank you in advance for any information you may have to impart.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens if you connect the iPad to iTunes on your computer? Is it recognized by iTunes?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are close to an Apple store it could be worth taking it in for a checkup.

Diagnostics are free, and you'll get some idea as to whether it's worth paying for any necessary repairs.

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible that the power management ic may have been damaged from plugging it into the car charger. This has been known to happen with 1st gen minis.

I'm not sure which gen I have, (I got it just under 3 yrs ago...9/24/13) but I think it is totally dead. I attached it to my desktop and opened iTunes & nothing, after trying the two-button reset again. Is this a problem w/later generations? I will also discard the Verizon car charger I was using on the off chance that it malfunctioned.

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are close to an Apple store it could be worth taking it in for a checkup.

Diagnostics are free, and you'll get some idea as to whether it's worth paying for any necessary repairs.

Thank you for this suggestion. I will make an appt and have it checked out. Altho' the nearest Apple Store is over two hrs away, I could get in some serious shopping (!) at the same time....And I will repost w/results once it is checked.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for this suggestion. I will make an appt and have it checked out. Altho' the nearest Apple Store is over two hrs away, I could get in some serious shopping (!) at the same time....And I will repost w/results once it is checked.

Sounds dangerous. "Serious" shopping in an Apple store can have dire consequences for your bank balance. Have you SEEN the Mac Pro? And that new iPhone! WOW!

Take care.

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous. "Serious" shopping in an Apple store can have dire consequences for your bank balance. Have you SEEN the Mac Pro? And that new iPhone! WOW!

Take care.
Oh, the damage is already done. Got a good deal on an iPad air....Labor Day sale......$300 off....The best time to buy is either holiday or when new stuff is coming out.Well, that's the best face I can put on this...;^)

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS: I have my own 'old lady' iPhone...a mini & a flip phone...;^)

Update: I took my new iPad Air 2 to the Verizon store where they have a fantastic rep , which whom I'd made an appt to set up my new iPad. Quite a few differences and it will take a while until I get used to it. They also checked out my dead mini, and 'pronounced' it for me...but also suggested I take it to the Apple store to see it maybe just a 'bad' battery had caused the problem. (Bad battery...no dessert...!) Anyhow, I will wait two weeks or so as with the new iPhone launch the Apple store will probable be even worse than usual.....So I will update in a bit...hopefully it will be good news...but I just read today that Apple is not supporting software for some models...and I can't remember which particular mini I have....and paperwork about it is hiding from me right now....

OP
M

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update to my dead mini problem: I did take it to the local computer repair shop (he does both Mac & PC) and he pronounced it dead. I have not had a chance to take it to the Apple store as of yet but will do so in the next few weeks and will come back and post the results. Thanks for all the input. (I do think it should have lasted at least three years...;^(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update to my dead mini problem: I did take it to the local computer repair shop (he does both Mac & PC) and he pronounced it dead. I have not had a chance to take it to the Apple store as of yet but will do so in the next few weeks and will come back and post the results. Thanks for all the input. (I do think it should have lasted at least three years...;^(
Almost all iPad mini 2 models will last well over 3 years. Unfortunately you had one of the very few defective ones. I'd be interested in what Apple has to say as to the cause of the problem.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipads can't die they were never alive to begin with they are a object not a life form.the correct term is quit working for your information.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the home button on my mini2 'died' at just over 2 years of age. Kinda disappointed and hope that's not indicative of home button life.

My G1 iPad lasted longer, but was too underpowered to be usable after a few years. Hope my iPad Pro 9.7 has a longer useful life.

It's amazing how electronic devices have life! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts