What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help! just 90% - battery problem in my Mini... should I claim the warranty?

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy,

I've noticed a peculiar thing. I charge my Ipad everyday because I use it extensivelly. Recently, when I've left my Ipad plugged in, the battery would charge to 90% only and after turning the Ipad of and restarting it, it would show 94%. Then, plugging the cable again doesn't change anything. The battery level remains at 94%. However, if I plug the charger to a different socket the battery starts charging itself again... till 100%.

What should I do? I think there's a malfunction. My Mini is almost new... 2 months of usage.

Can you offer any advice? I'm upset because of this whole matter...

Thank you

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're battery needs calibrating. Let it run down until the iPad turns itself off. Then charge it overnight. It should charge to 100%. You need to do this about once a month, according to Apple. I've found that calibration is not necessary anything like as often as that.

OP
M

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're battery needs calibrating. Let it run down until the iPad turns itself off. Then charge it overnight. It should charge to 100%. You need to do this about once a month, according to Apple. I've found that calibration is not necessary anything like as often as that.

Kevin, thank you for your reply. I did exactly what you told me. I just woke up and... The battery's level is 94% again :( What should I do now?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Time to head for the Genius Bar. Tell them you've done a recalibration cycle, which hasn't worked. They may replace the iPad, or they may have other suggestions.

I'm curious to know why it charges fully on the second attempt. That still has me thinking "calibration".

OP
M

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin.

Any advice on how I should backup my data before I give them my ipad? I have no idea about it. Will I lose all the apps I paid for?

wildmangk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time to head for the Genius Bar. Tell them you've done a recalibration cycle, which hasn't worked. They may replace the iPad, or they may have other suggestions.

I'm curious to know why it charges fully on the second attempt. That still has me thinking "calibration".

You wont lose the apps you paid for. Just make sure when you get the replacement to sign in with the same user id and youll have the purchased apps ready for download. I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Backup to your PC/Mac using iTunes.

You will not lose any apps, so long as you use the same AppleID. Once you have bought them, they are yours.

When you get your new iPad, set it up using the backup of the old one, and everything should be in place.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A similar thing happens on mine where it charges to 96% and then gets stuck. But when I take the charger out of the iPad some 20 minutes later and put it back in straightaway, it jumps to 100%. So its really charging even though it appears to get stuck. However if I leave the charger in very long time it eventually gets to 100% without any intervention.So if it appears to get stuck in the 90s, mostly likely it is still charging. After a while, take the charger out of the ipad and then put it back in and you might see it showing a full charge.

Last edited:

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone consider maybe it's the charger.
A charger most likely has a voltage regulator and a transformer. If the voltage from the socket is different for what ever reason, then the input voltage may not meet the charger requirement to produce the proper output voltage.
I'm not saying this is likely because Apple stuff is pretty much the top of the line.

Last edited:

Yvi_8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case I found out that my iPad3 only did charge til 80% was because of the cord.
I think maybe it was broke inside. A new cord solved my charging problem.

Most reactions