What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad seems to be dead!

hotu matua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today, as all mornings, I had fun with my iPad.
I listen to the music I have bought in iTunes, and then took it to my car, where I used it to track my way to a house where I would pick up my 15-year-old daugther, who have slept over a classmate's home.
I was using 3G to find the route through the "Maps" application, while the music from the iPod app played in the background.

I arrived at the right address, clicked on the Home button to leave the maps app, open the iPod app and clicked pause on the song, clicked again the home button to leave the iPod app and turned my iPad off.

I left the iPad under my sit (so that I could not be seen from outside), left the car, walked to the house, greeted my daugther's colleague mother, picked my daugther and within 5 minutes I was back in my car.

I showed my daughter the iPad I had brought with me in the car and hand it to her alongside earphone and ask her to enjoy her favourit music at her leisure. But then she just couldn't turn it on.

I tried myself and the iPad was just... like dead.

I arrived home obviously worried, and just for the sake of it, connect it to the electric outlet and charge the battery. I remember it was like 85% when it went dead, but I still tried it.

As I am writing now, the iPad remains dead. I am not able to turn it on.
I am planning to go the MacStore to get some help.

What on earth can be happening? Please help!

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try rebooting by holding down the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button and see if the Apple logo appears on the screen. If it does, release your fingers from the buttons and let it come on.

¡Buena suerte!

ipad29.jpg

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that happen to my ipad once. I was freaking out and ready to go to Apple but I tried the above once and it finally came back on. I don't know what I did to make it "go dead" but it was a frightening feeling. I hope yours comes back to life as mine did.

edsyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had that happen several times since I bought mine back in Sep 2010. The last time it happened, I was on a business trip and when I rebooted it, all my music, videos and movies were gone.... Apple recommended I restore it to it's original configuration and wait to see if it will happen again.

OP
H

hotu matua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rebooted and it worked!
Thank you very much, indeed.
I am writing now from th iPad. All my apps, files, music and e-books seem to be OK.
Now the issue is, how can I prevent this to happen again?
Edsyoung's frightening experience is worth considering.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its happened to be once as well. I dont know of any way to guarantee that it wont happen again. Its just buggy software, I guess - narrowing down the culprit when it happens so infrequently is almost impossible.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might try rebooting by holding down the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button and see if the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Very good advice, and great to hear the OP sorted his problem using tis method.

But, can I just pull you up about one thing C4?

The method you described should not be called a reboot because this can confuse people. It is a soft reset which is quite different. The only reason for making this clear is I have seen many people use this daily (or more often!) because they believe it is a safe procedure to reboot. IT IS NOT. It is the same as holding the power button on your laptop or desktop. The bios just kills the OS. Therefore there is a risk that, for example, open files could be corrupted because they were being written.
When a device has hung completely it is absolutely the best (and only) thing to do. But you should never do it if your device is operating OK. SBSettings has a great "proper" reboot feature. Otherwise, you just power down and back up for a "manual" reboot.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

zhanea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try rebooting by holding down the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button and see if the Apple logo appears on the screen.

The method you described should not be called a reboot because this can confuse people. It is a soft reset which is quite different. The only reason for making this clear is I have seen many people use this daily (or more often!) because they believe it is a safe procedure to reboot. IT IS NOT. It is the same as holding the power button on your laptop or desktop. The bios just kills the OS. Therefore there is a risk that, for example, open files could be corrupted because they were being written.
When a device has hung completely it is absolutely the best (and only) thing to do. But you should never do it if your device is operating OK. SBSettings has a great "proper" reboot feature. Otherwise, you just power down and back up for a "manual" reboot.

Hope that helps.

Your right!!

I did it yesterday for no reason and now my iPad is just showing the logo and nothing else. Yesterday i upgrade to 4.2.1 and than i did the jailbreak, than i installed some apps and today when i did the ''reboot'' thing it stuck :(:(:(:(

..any advice about this? what should i do, please ??!

Jbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad went dead and now alive again! Hurrah!

Thanks so much for simple and helpful advice of suggesting to reboot my Ipad with the illustration of how to do so. It worked immediately and now it's ok. I had a scheduled phone call/help session set up for 8:00 this morning and now no longer need the help. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

666fff

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps.

Your right!!

I did it yesterday for no reason and now my iPad is just showing the logo and nothing else. Yesterday i upgrade to 4.2.1 and than i did the jailbreak, than i installed some apps and today when i did the ''reboot'' thing it stuck :(:(:(:(

..any advice about this? what should i do, please ??!

Which jailbreak did you use? If it's a tethered jailbreak, you need to be connected to your computer to turn the ipad on. You can find the step by step videos on YouTube, there are lots of them. If its untethered, then try to do the 'reboot' thing a few more times, you might get lucky. Otherwise just restore your iPad.

rette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sync it

If rebooting by holding down the home and power buttons doesn't work, sync it with itunes and download the newest version of operating software. You can back it up before the download and save your aps.

Most reactions

Latest posts