What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ipad 1, 16gb, has cracked screen

facino12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey my ipad has a cracked screen and I'm a bit confused.

When the glass breaks isn't the touch still suppose to work?

Mine only works in the places that it is not cracked.

Tell me if this is normal or not, and what i need to do for repairs

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Time to go to the Apple store, you might get lucky and get it replaced for free...good luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not the original owner

Hmmm - was the glass cracked when you obtained the device? If so, I hope that it was just given to you rather than paid for? If the glass cracked after you obtained the iPad, what was the reason (i.e. spontaneously or dropped, or other?).

If the crack in the glass was due to damage (e.g. dropping the device), then other 'internal' problems may also be a concern - since you are not the initial owner, I'm not sure if the repair costs vs. obtaining a different iPad would be worth the effort.

Please post back and let us know what you did - sorry for the problem - :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The touch screen is made in layers. It is possible to crack it and the touch still work. It is also possible to crack it a bit more and the touch won't work. What's more, once the first layer is broken the remaining layers are far more vulnerable to breakage.

At any rate. Your only option is to get the screen replaced. The good news is the iPad 1 is far easier to fix than the iPad 2. Since you are probably no longer covered by warrantee there are third party companies that will replace the screen, so you can shop a bit to see if you can get a better price than what Apple will charge.

Make sure you take a good hard look at the company though. You often get what you pay for, and super cheap usually means corners cut, or shady business practices. If you can afford it, Apple is the safest bet.

Most reactions