What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad backup is less than actually on ipad! help

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WHen i connect the ipad to itunes..i have 2.7 gb of apps and rest other..i dont know whether videos and music also gets backed up..but anyway..

when i used to do backups before it used to be around 10 gb which was exactly what i had on ipad..

now i have deleted some videos and as i said i have said before -2.7gb of apps..but when i backup manually it backs up the ipad to 628mb..i checked the backup folder in -- C:\Users\(your username)\App Data\Roaming\Apple Computer\Mobile Backups

and it shows 628 mb only..how can this be when apps are 2.7 gb? HELP? why is it backing up less? :confused:

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
WHen i connect the ipad to itunes..i have 2.7 gb of apps and rest other..i dont know whether videos and music also gets backed up..but anyway..

when i used to do backups before it used to be around 10 gb which was exactly what i had on ipad..

now i have deleted some videos and as i said i have said before -2.7gb of apps..but when i backup manually it backs up the ipad to 628mb..i checked the backup folder in -- C:\Users\(your username)\App Data\Roaming\Apple Computer\Mobile Backups

and it shows 628 mb only..how can this be when apps are 2.7 gb? HELP? why is it backing up less? :confused:

Sounds as if you have left some of the sync tick boxes in iTunes blank.

Open iTunes and go check that the automatically sync button is unticked ( this prevents iTunes from syncing things you may not want)

Go to the app tab, and make sure the " automatically sync apps" box is ticked.

Go to music tab, and make sure all the folders you want music from are ticked.

Go to the photo tab and do the same as above.

Connect your iPad and sync it again.

Tip: if you wish to remove items from your iPad untick the folder or folders you wish to remove, then sync again. This will not delete apps music films or photos from iTunes, just from your iPad.

Hope this gets you going :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your backup does not contain all of the stuff that is already in iTunes, such as your apps, music, videos, etc. So it's absolutely fine that your backup size is less than all the stuff you have on your iPad.
When you fully restore an iPad you restore the backup and re-sync all your media / apps back onto the device. Think of your backup like all of the stuff which is not available from the iTunes library!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes by default syncing transfers apps and media both to and from your iPad (although it does depend on how you have set up iTunes in relation to your iPad - you have control over this completely).
When you purchase / download things from the iTunes / App stores on your iPad they get transferred to your PC the next time you sync, and vice-versa. When you sync it also creates a backup.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your apps aren't even really physically saved on your PC - there'e a record of what you have, but it's held in your iTunes a/c. So if you change your PC/laptop for a new one, all you have to do is log in to your iTunes a/c and it will all still be there.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your apps aren't even really physically saved on your PC - there'e a record of what you have, but it's held in your iTunes a/c. So if you change your PC/laptop for a new one, all you have to do is log in to your iTunes a/c and it will all still be there.

I get what you mean DM51, but they are also physically there in your iTunes folder structure... Have a look and see...

...\iTunes\iTunes Music\Mobile Applications\

Those are all your personally signed apps for your iTunes account download from either the iTunes store on your PC or synced across from your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't be overly concerned about the backup file size. It does not contain everything that is on your iPad. It does not contain any of your media; stuff that is stored in the iTunes library on the computer. That is saved and restored via a sync, not a backup and restore.

Here is Apple's tech page on backups. If you expand About Syncing and Backups, and then expand Information iTunes will backup, you can see a (probably not complete) list of what actually goes into the backup file.

iPad: About backups

Most reactions