What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ipad 1st generation doesn't charge anymore.

undercover0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried two different cable, in the wall and in the computer.

The only thing happen when I try to start the ipad is the need to charge screen, the cable with a little lightnight bolt.

Thanks !

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there's no apparent problem with the charging port on the iPad, it's possible that the battery is worn out. The battery on an iPad 1 can be close to 6 years old, depending on when the iPad was purchased. I agree that the cost of repairing an iPad 1 is uneconomical and that a replacement should be considered.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,
I tried two different cable, in the wall and in the computer.

The only thing happen when I try to start the ipad is the need to charge screen, the cable with a little lightnight bolt.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As already stated, you should simply upgrade to a more recent iPad model rather than trying to revive an antique - Apple charges $99 (+ S/H) to replace the battery - that money would be better invested in a newer model.

Now, you can evaluate battery health in several ways - the two that I've used on my nearly year and a half old iPad Air 2 is Battery Health (available in the iPad App Store) & Coconut Battery, an app on my laptop which can check the iPad's battery health once the device is plugged into a USB port - below are screen captures from both of these assessments - my iPad's battery is rated as having 84% health (i.e. present charging capacity compared to its condition when new) and 232 cycles - batteries for these iDevices will typically reached about 80% nearing 500 cycles - I suspect that if you test your iPad 1 battery, these numbers will be poor.

Finally, there are plenty of DIY iPad guides at iFixit, including battery replacements in these devices - cost might be half for the new battery and other equipment needed to do the 'teardown', BUT these are difficult procedures and time consuming, probably not something I would do. Good luck and let us know the condition of that battery if you obtain one of the apps above - Dave
IMG_4822.PNG
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.35.01 AM.png

OP
U

undercover0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,
my port seems clean.

So you guys think is the battery and not the port itselft ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey,
my port seems clean.

So you guys think is the battery and not the port itselft ?
It could be either a defective charging port or a defective battery. It would take a diagnostic to determine which. Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free.

OP
U

undercover0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty far from a apple store. Basically, I'm far from everything.

But I could buy a new battery and charger port.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty far from a apple store. Basically, I'm far from everything.

But I could buy a new battery and charger port.

Hello again - did you read my post suggesting that you assess your 'battery health' w/ one of several methods mentioned? Might just help us respond to your needs.

Second, are you planning to replace your battery yourself? I gave you a link to iFixit for a DIY guide but not an easy or guaranteed fix if you're not handy or experienced.

As I suggested previously, you may be better off planning for a more recent iPad model. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts