What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 1 wont charge

runnindeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1, about 6 mos old, replacement for my 3 yr old original one, so, no more warranty...but, one night my wall charger worked just fine, next night it wouldn't charge...I can take it to my vehicle and it will charge great, purchased new wall charger w/ cable, got it last nite, plugged it in, Not Charging...I tried the restart / reset people were talking about and that didn't work either...any ideas? Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1, about 6 mos old, replacement for my 3 yr old original one, so, no more warranty...but, one night my wall charger worked just fine, next night it wouldn't charge...I can take it to my vehicle and it will charge great, purchased new wall charger w/ cable, got it last nite, plugged it in, Not Charging...I tried the restart / reset people were talking about and that didn't work either...any ideas? Thanks

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Are you always using the same wall socket when charging? If the answer is yes, then change to another one.
Connect your iPad with one of the cables to a computer. It should show that it's charging. If it doesn't, the cable causes the problem. (Even a new one can be faulty.)
Also, look at the port on your iPad. Make sure there's no dirt/damage. Blow out any dust, be bery careful when doing so.
Your last option would be to contact Apple for support/visit the next Apple Store.

Last edited:
OP
R

runnindeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K, I use a surge bar...I tried both bars and I did try a different plug as well. I have blown out the connection on my iPad as well But I believe I have found the prob anyway, the built in charging system has quit working properly. There is an app we have called Boost Magic, hooked it up to that and it fully charged, showing 100%. So if this happens to anyone else, free app, Boost Magic, it'll charge for ya...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is an app we have called Boost Magic, hooked it up to that and it fully charged, showing 100%. So if this happens to anyone else, free app, Boost Magic, it'll charge for ya...

An interesting solution. Thank you for posting! It might help other members with the same problem.

JaRoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My dad dropped the iPad while he was using it, and has been completely unresponsive since. He claims the iPad landed on his toe then the carpet, and there are no external damages to the iPad, but it's screen is completely black during charging, or when plugged to the computer. It doesn't show up on iTunes either, so I can't reformat it. I've tried holding on to the home button and plugging it into the computer to force the computer to recognise the iPad but nothing works. Is it a lost cause?

iPad

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My dad dropped the iPad while he was using it, and has been completely unresponsive since. He claims the iPad landed on his toe then the carpet, and there are no external damages to the iPad, but it's screen is completely black during charging, or when plugged to the computer. It doesn't show up on iTunes either, so I can't reformat it. I've tried holding on to the home button and plugging it into the computer to force the computer to recognise the iPad but nothing works. Is it a lost cause?

iPad

There may have been one or more connections jarred lose in the fall. You may want to consider getting it looked at by the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
K, I use a surge bar...I tried both bars and I did try a different plug as well. I have blown out the connection on my iPad as well But I believe I have found the prob anyway, the built in charging system has quit working properly. There is an app we have called Boost Magic, hooked it up to that and it fully charged, showing 100%. So if this happens to anyone else, free app, Boost Magic, it'll charge for ya...

Hi Runnindeer - welcome to the forum! :) Not sure that you need a 'surge bar' for this purpose - indeed the less expensive ones can blow their cheap fuses and not work at all, so always try a regular wall socket. Also I'm not sure about 'I have blown out the connection on my iPad as well'? Is your iPad damaged - I suspect that you may have not resolved the charging issue - just my 2 cents.

NOW, Boost Magic (I have Battery +) is simply an app that reads information from the iPad's battery and reporting technology telling the current charge and number of hours/minutes left for doing certain activities, e.g. playing music/surfing/etc. The app has nothing to do with actually participating in charging the battery or improving the charging process. Good luck and hope all is corrected for you whatever the problem may be? Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts