What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My IDs are a mess ...

mhaskell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have a blogging identity that I run through an anonymous gmail account. I use that same gmail account for my iTunes purchases. I also have my normal gmail account, which is what I'm using here.

I update to iOS 5, and suddenly my friends and family are getting SMS from my blogger email addy ID. It's nothing scandalous (a variation of "sarcastic"), but it's certainly caused some confusion and more than a few unanswered messages.

I tried to fix it by adding my account to my iCloud ID. It hasn't helped. Some people continue to get messages from others say (and I believe them), they are receiving nothing.

Next, I created a new apple ID ( , and am about to begin using that. But two problems with this "fix" occur to me:

Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by IPF staff in accordance with the Forum Rules Please do not post email address, links, or personal information.

1. All my app and iTunes purchases are via my anonymous ID.
2. What if I want to message with someone, but don't yet want to give out personal information (for example someone from a dating site)?

I appreciate your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mhaskell

mhaskell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it was edited - I made the email addresses generic. Was that a bot?

iCrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMessage uses your apple id. That being the reason why they are receiving messages. Well that's if your family is using any idevice running iOS 5

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCloud and many other email services will let you create alias email addresses. Create and use one for sites/services that you consider questionable or disposable. You can delete the alias later without affecting your main account.

Just be careful when replying to emails sent to your alias. Make sure the reply address isn't your real address.

Most reactions

Latest posts