What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My commodore setup, post your retro setups!!!!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the ZX81 too. After the 64 I went to the original Amiga. I never really got on with that one, for some reason. After that, a succession of PCs running 3.1, 98, Me (there had to be one, didn't there), XP and finally Vista (or Me #2).

Next up will be an MBP and then, when the funds recover, an iMac.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Commodore 64 memories or stories and if u still have one thread

I gave up on buying computers in 2001 and began building my own. This allowed me to pick and choose the hardware as well as the OS - I have been with Linux ever since - and this yields a very nice system. My next computer will be either a MBP or the Mac mini.. Mac OS X just seems so much better than anything else available.

However, there will always be a place in my heart for the Commodore64.

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
Well these are some cool stories, My dad had a 1702 monitor with his 64 I dunno if he still has it

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
So Nathan, what was the game I used to play on my vic 20, I remember it was 2 dimensional, you had a plane that dropped bombs on tall buildings which got smaller as the bomb fell, as the game progressed the plane got lower down the screen.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
So Nathan, what was the game I used to play on my vic 20, I remember it was 2 dimensional, you had a plane that dropped bombs on tall buildings which got smaller as the bomb fell, as the game progressed the plane got lower down the screen.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

I dunno I think that was Fort Launderdale or something like that, I have it on cassette for C64

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nathan the ipad lover said:
Well these are some cool stories, My dad had a 1702 monitor with his 64 I dunno if he still has it

I never had a 'monitor', monochrome TV's had to do back then, next came the green screen CRT's, then the ColorComputer by Tandy. I would love to have the thousands of dollars back that I spent on the early computers.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
I never had a 'monitor', monochrome TV's had to do back then, next came the green screen CRT's, then the ColorComputer by Tandy. I would love to have the thousands of dollars back that I spent on the early computers.

Well commodore made a few monitors that you could get separately with their computers, they were color monitors like the 1701 1702 then the 1084 the 1081 the 1801 the 1802 :3

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I always used that little metal box (RF adapter?) to connect my C64 to my TV. It had two "C" clips you connected to the TV antenna screws on the back of the TV.

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
I always used that little metal box (RF adapter?) to connect my C64 to my TV. It had two "C" clips you connected to the TV antenna screws on the back of the TV.

That's a vic 20 rf modulator the c64 had a built in rf modulator

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hmm.. maybe it was the Vic20 I'm remembering.

I'm 50, my memory is horrible.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
Hmm.. maybe it was the Vic20 I'm remembering.

I'm 50, my memory is horrible.

No need to apologize ardchoille (arid holley according to autocorrect) like I said before, after a while and certainly at my age (67) we have no room for more input unless we dump something out of RAM. It's funny but I now recall more about the C64 now than I do about wife #1 but there again my C64 was much less demanding.

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
No need to apologize ardchoille (arid holley according to autocorrect) like I said before, after a while and certainly at my age (67) we have no room for more input unless we dump something out of RAM. It's funny but I now recall more about the C64 now than I do about wife #1 but there again my C64 was much less demanding.

Yes! This is why I love old computers, much less demanding!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It was my first computer. I got it in 1982 (I think) when the prices first dropped.

I had the cassette drive for about two weeks, until the fist shipment of 1541 floppy drives appeared in the store. I never used the ground strap on the cassette drive, and occasionally got a little shock from it.

My first BASIC program was a simple multiple choice program. Two 40 column lines for the question, one line for the 4 possible answers. It was quite sophisticated (I thought) since it mixed up the answers so you couldn't remember just their order.

The problem was that 20 questions took nearly 20 minutes to load from the cassette. The floppy drive was a big improvement.

My programs got a bit better. I even dabbled in assembly and machine code. Though to be honest I typed in far more programs from magazines than I wrote myself.

It was the last computer that I truly understood. I had the expanded users manual for it, and know all kinds of ways to peek and poke that machine.

Rknight68

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The C64 was my third computer. I can't recall exactly why, but the "hack" was a toggle switch on the 5-1/4. "Shall we play a game" War dialing modem madness all night. Good old BBSs. Anyone remember the Timex Sinclair 1000. 2k of ram!! That was my first. You can guess the second.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts