What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My commodore setup, post your retro setups!!!!!

OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
This is rare to see in a house!

A Commodore 128 next to a modern laptop!

Attachments

• image-3998741983.jpg
    image-3998741983.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 230
OP
nathan the ipad lover
Reaction score
The Commodore 64 memories or stories and if u still have one thread

I have a c64 so I thought about some stories for you guys to share with me on here so here's a pic of my 64 booted up

Attachments

• image-418151220.jpg
    image-418151220.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 714

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The C64 gave me my first exposure to the Internet.

With some gizmo stuck into the expansion port, an acoustic modem and a call to Leicester University, which was the closest place you could tap into, the screen flickered into life with the first info that didn't come from a diskette, tape or keyboard, and it took ages to do anything.

Had a play around with it for a while, thought "No, thanks. This will never take off." and switched it off. That was my last exposure to the net until I bought my second PC. The first ran Windows 3.1 and didn't have a modem.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Johnboysupergolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

ahhh memories of raid over Moscow and old school cassettes.
The commodore 64 was a class act of a machine back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first computer! How did we manage with 64k of ram? Internet.... never heard of it, just creating simple programs in DOS Basic with the C64 hooked up to a B&W TV. I had an IBM compiler program which converted Basic into code which ran so much faster. Lol

Then of course there was the CoCo II from Radio Shack in color! OMG when will this leap of technology ever end.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my 64s had the ROMs extracted and EPROMs installed.

One of the added features was 6502 assembly language. It was great to be able to type in the machine code directly, as well as load up other people's programs to see how they worked. I learned a lot about computers that way.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
One of my 64s had the ROMs extracted and EPROMs installed.

One of the added features was 6502 assembly language. It was great to be able to type in the machine code directly, as well as load up other people's programs to see how they worked. I learned a lot about computers that way.

That's why I needed the IBM compiler because, after compiling, when you use the LIST command the program lines were just symbols and funny faces to me. Then eventually 3.1 arrived and that was that. I still reminisce occasionally by going to the > C: prompt on my Windows laptop.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

My second computer was the C64, my first was the Timex Sinclair. The C64 introduced me to programming, I couldn't wait to get the next month's Commodore magazine so I could go home and type in the groups of alpha-numeric characters. Punching in the characters took hours and gave me a program that ran for only minutes, but I felt like a programmer. The 1541 tape drive was essential!

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
My second computer was the C64, my first was the Timex Sinclair. The C64 introduced me to programming, I couldn't wait to get the next month's Commodore magazine so I could go home and type in the groups of alpha-numeric characters. Punching in the characters took hours and gave me a program that ran for only minutes, but I felt like a programmer. The 1541 tape drive was essential!

I may have lied. You jogged my memory about my Sinclair ZX 80? My personal RAM has been full for over a decade so now I have to discard stuff to make room for new.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I may have lied. You jogged my memory about my Sinclair ZX 80? My personal RAM has been full for over a decade so now I have to discard stuff to make room for new.

Understandable. The fact that we bought these computers back when they were popular gives us an excuse for our memory ;)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ardchoille said:

I think the 1541 was a disk drive. The tape drive was a C2N.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think the 1541 was a disk drive. The tape drive was a C2N.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Ah, yes, the 1541 was a 5.25 floppy drive.. I had both drives and the 1541 seemed like the top of the line device at the time.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
Ah, yes, the 1541 was a 5.25 floppy drive.. I had both drives and the 1541 seemed like the top of the line device at the time.

Ah yes, I remember cassette tape drives but not sure I remember how we used them. I think they plugged into a port and just sent or received an audio signal similar to the sound an old dial up modem uses.

I do recall, however, 30 years ago or so trying to wipe a program tape clean as recommended, by setting up the cassette deck to record nul sound. I'd leave the room only to find when I came back that the tape had rewound and was going through again, but when I checked to see if it was 'wiped' found that it was not. This went on for a long time, set up, leave, come back, no change. It was driving me crazy until I realized that the outlet that the cassette deck was plugged into was controlled by the light switch, which I always turned OFF when I left the room!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Ah yes, I remember cassette tape drives but not sure I remember how we used them. I think they plugged into a port and just sent or received an audio signal similar to the sound an old dial up modem uses.

I do recall, however, 30 years ago or so trying to wipe a program tape clean as recommended, by setting up the cassette deck to record nul sound. I'd leave the room only to find when I came back that the tape had rewound and was going through again, but when I checked to see if it was 'wiped' found that it was not. This went on for a long time, set up, leave, come back, no change. It was driving me crazy until I realized that the outlet that the cassette deck was plugged into was controlled by the light switch, which I always turned OFF when I left the room!

Yep, that tape drive used sound to record and play back data for the C64.

Oh noes! I can just imagine the sound made by your face being planted firmly into your palm when you realized the electrical outlet was being turned off each time you left the room.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I started with a 1k ZX81, I then bought an add on rampak to boost it to 16k, I used to write games for it and send them into magazines. I then went on to the 48k Sinclair Spectrum, at the same time i had a Commodore Vic20 and a Commodore 64, followed by the 128k version of the spectrum.....after all this i went on to an Amiga 600 HD.

And so ends my early PC ownership, I now have a Dell Vostro 200 and my trusty iPad.......and I have a load of ZX Spectrum games which I revisit regularly to remind me why I lost so many of my childhood days playing those excellent Ultimate - Play The Game titles, my favourite being the Atic Atac game and then the Sabre Wulf series!! Awesome!!

Most reactions

Latest posts