What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My books doesnt sync anymore!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j0yful said:
Will do ;)

But when DUMI, comesin. He might have an answer. He did suggest to e-mail it. he could have something.

yeah, he's cool but don't tell him I said so!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful said:
Will do ;)

But when DUMI, comesin. He might have an answer. He did suggest to e-mail it. he could have something.

yeah, he's cool but don't tell him I said so!

Woman! you just write your thought! lol:p

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say it like it is! Most of the time! But not when it will intentionally offend. Believe me there have been plenty of times when I could have been more honest on here and offended but my granny(called her Ouma because that's Afrikaans for granny in SA) used to say, "a still Tongue makes a wise head" or something like that. She was full of those quotes, proper Londoner she was. She saw Wembley being built, awesome!

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Ouma" that sounds like "Amah" , it's a chinese fookien language. So, you speak the african language?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j0yful said:
"Ouma" that sounds like "Amah" , it's a chinese fookien language. So, you speak the african language?

I wish! No my dad could speak Zulu and Xhosa which are just 2 of their languages but there are loads more! I'm not good at languages but Afrikaans is easier to understand but I've been too long away from it and my short term memory(old age) has forgotten it a lot. I can still remember the numbers though. Oh, Afrikaans is the language that the Boer people use, it's a mixture of I think, Dutch, German etc... They were the original White people to conquer the African community and say that it's their's now, normal procedure for that time. The English weren't far behind mind, it was an important shipping line for the East India company. I'm sure that's not what it was called but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong - sigh!

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool Hayle I love that little bit of history! South Africa is a huge place, I mean it's a continent! lol

I have to get back on topic If we want to see some answers lol :p

Ps.I'd like to see Kenya!

Reaction score
I was hoping, that after adding one ebook via email, itunes would let you copy the other ebooks onto the ipad?

When you reinstalled iTunes, have you downloaded the latest version from Apple?

And lastly, does this ebok copy refusal only occur with the computer you recently reinstalled?

After reinstalling windows, have you installed anything else, any drivers?

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping, that after adding one ebook via email, itunes would let you copy the other ebooks onto the ipad?

When you reinstalled iTunes, have you downloaded the latest version from Apple?

And lastly, does this ebok copy refusal only occur with the computer you recently reinstalled?

After reinstalling windows, have you installed anything else, any drivers?

1. I havent tried it again. I will try again tonight.
2. I installed the new one. I went straight to Apple's site.
3. I only have one computer with my itunes. Do I need to have another computer With itunes?
4. Driver?, I installed my printer.

Reaction score
j0yful said:
1. I havent tried it again. I will try again tonight.
2. I installed the new one. I went straight to Apple's site.
3. I only have one computer with my itunes. Do I need to have another computer With itunes?
4. Driver?, I installed my printer.

My question regarding driver installation was asked, because windows, except 7, does not install drivers automatically. Vista does install some basic drivers, too though.

So the question is, whether it is possible, that some of the chipset or usb drivers are missing.

What speaks against this theory, is that some ebooks did transfer on the iPad. But if you still have my last email, than definitely install the linked Intel chipset driver, restart the computer. Afterwards run Windows update and see, whether it lists any new drivers under the Optional Updates category. If so, install them as well.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes i still have the e- mail. will do all the suggestions tonight ;)

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DUMI, I did what you suggested. But still the problem exist. Anyway, an error came up "Attempting to copy to the disk of "j0yful's ipad" failed. An Unknown error occured (-23)".

I searched the internet for the error, I only came up with one about it.And it wasnt a concrete reason but it has something do with a corrupt document. thinking I might had the same. I tried to put in about 5 documents. first 5 didnt transfer to Ipad. So, I went to add them one by one. well, 3 went through. but when I put another one I suspected must be the corrupted one. Trasfer was hindered.

Im concluding that if one corrupt file is among the other files. It wont transfer. Now, tell me is my conclusion correct?

Reaction score
j0yful said:
DUMI, I did what you suggested. But still the problem exist. Anyway, an error came up "Attempting to copy to the disk of "j0yful's ipad" failed. An Unknown error occured (-23)".

I searched the internet for the error, I only came up with one about it.And it wasnt a concrete reason but it has something do with a corrupt document. thinking I might had the same. I tried to put in about 5 documents. first 5 didnt transfer to Ipad. So, I went to add them one by one. well, 3 went through. but when I put another one I suspected must be the corrupted one. Trasfer was hindered.

Im concluding that if one corrupt file is among the other files. It wont transfer. Now, tell me is my conclusion correct?

That is interesting and may relate to the problem.

So I tried recreating your scenario, but since I do not have a corrupt ebook, I simply renamed an .obj to .pdf. So iTunes thinks it is a PDF file, but it actually isn't and an error regarding corrupt file shows up when opening it. However, even though the file is clearly just a PDF in disguise does iTunes copy it onto the iPad and it does show up in iBooks, it just can't be read and iBooks asks to delete the file on opening.

But this may scenario may be slightly different.

Anyway, if you suspect on of the ebooks to be corrupt, you could open the folder containing them, select all ebooks and than press enter to open all of them at the same time. This should open all files, until it reaches the corrupt file, at which point it should give you an error. So you can more easily pinpoint the corrupt ebook.

Good luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After reading all the comments, I'm not sure I have any more idea what is going on than anyone else, but let me make sure I've got the facts straight.

1) You can see all your books in iTunes when you select Books under the Library list.

2) On the Books syncing tab (with iPad connected) you have Sync Books selected, and the All Books radio button selected. If you chose Selected books radio button, you also chose 'Books and PDF files' at the top of Books section, and checked all the books you want to sync.

3) On the iPad in iBooks, you've tapped the Collections button (in library view) and gone through all the collections to make sure the books aren't hiding out there.

Also, as long as (1) is true, then you can turn syncing off and sync to remove all books and then on to sync again to see if that will reset things. The iPad will not remove books from iTunes, so whatever happens they can be recovered. I might take some digging though.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is interesting and may relate to the problem.

So I tried recreating your scenario, but since I do not have a corrupt ebook, I simply renamed an .obj to .pdf. So iTunes thinks it is a PDF file, but it actually isn't and an error regarding corrupt file shows up when opening it. However, even though the file is clearly just a PDF in disguise does iTunes copy it onto the iPad and it does show up in iBooks, it just can't be read and iBooks asks to delete the file on opening.

But this may scenario may be slightly different.

Anyway, if you suspect on of the ebooks to be corrupt, you could open the folder containing them, select all ebooks and than press enter to open all of them at the same time. This should open all files, until it reaches the corrupt file, at which point it should give you an error. So you can more easily pinpoint the corrupt ebook.

Good luck.

Dumi, will my pc be able to open even epub files? I have them in epub and pdf.
Also, there's something that's bothering me. The books that were downloaded to the ibooks via e-mail doesnt show on itunes when my ipad was connected. a popup showed up if I like to transfer. I click on yes but still it didnt show on my itunes under books. ( different problem this time)

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading all the comments, I'm not sure I have any more idea what is going on than anyone else, but let me make sure I've got the facts straight.

1) You can see all your books in iTunes when you select Books under the Library list.

2) On the Books syncing tab (with iPad connected) you have Sync Books selected, and the All Books radio button selected. If you chose Selected books radio button, you also chose 'Books and PDF files' at the top of Books section, and checked all the books you want to sync.

3) On the iPad in iBooks, you've tapped the Collections button (in library view) and gone through all the collections to make sure the books aren't hiding out there.

Also, as long as (1) is true, then you can turn syncing off and sync to remove all books and then on to sync again to see if that will reset things. The iPad will not remove books from iTunes, so whatever happens they can be recovered. I might take some digging though.

It's getting chaotic here. and I just encountered a new problem I mentioned to Dumi previous post.

Twerp, my answer to you questions from numbers 1-3 are all YES. I never had any problems before. Just after the reformat of my pc and after installing the new itunes .

Most reactions