What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mute switch does not work

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the upgrade to 4.3 mute switch stopped working. Just upgraded to 4.3.2 and it still does not work. I use radio apps "iDeRadio" "The Radio" "Antyradio" to listent to internet stations. When I move the side switch I can see the icon of the crossed speaker but the sound still goes out. Is it only problem with my unit or a general problem? It annoys me very much as I have to keep pressing the volume down button to get quickly mute my iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In earlier versions of iOS the switch by the volume control was the mute switch. However, in the upgrade to iOS 4.3 you now have an option. By default, that switch now controls the orientation lock but, if you want it back as a mute switch you can switch it using the iPad's 'Settings' menu, where you can chose whether the switch is orientation lock or mute. If you switch it to mute, then the orientation lock is in the multi-task bar and vice versa.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mute switch was never meant to silence audio from apps. It is only for silencing alarms and system sounds. Some apps would silence anyway, probably some minor difference in how the developers coded the audio output. I imagine the update fixed whatever bug caused some apps to silence with the mute switch.

If you hold volume down button for just a couple seconds it goes straight to a full mute. Doesn't take that long, really, it only seems that way when you want it now.

OP
L

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification, at least I know that my gadget is not broken. I would like it to be absolute mute but can live with it as is. I stream audio via BlueTooth and from time to time I have to mute the sound, to answer phone for example, but it is way too long to unlock my iPad and mute in the app.

Well I can't believe I have not tried to hold vol down button, works like a charm! Sounds like a shame to admit I went down each volume bar :mad:

Most reactions