What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Must Have iPad apps = ?

robdam1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched but was surprised not to see a thread for the basic "Must Have apps for the iPad. My 3G/64 just shipped so I'm planning ahead on what to install. Thanks.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I searched but was surprised not to see a thread for the basic "Must Have apps for the iPad. My 3G/64 just shipped so I'm planning ahead on what to install. Thanks.

depends what you are into really.

You may want to snatch MotionX GPS HD while its still $2.99 Great GPS app, like they say in the discription. "better than a $2,000 chart plotter"

If your into twitter, the free twitterific app is great. I also think the Twittelator app is worth the purchase.

If you work in IT, check out my stickied topic on IT apps.

Most people tend to buy the iWorks apps but that depends on if you plan on creating stuff on your ipad.

Whistle is a free app that lets you place phone calls from the iPad via wifi/3G.

Also skype lets you place calls from your iPad, its a must have if your a skype user.

ABC Player is great for watching ABC shows.

Netflix is a must have if you are a netflix member, stream the movies live right to your ipad.

Newsy is a free app ive downloaded and like, they have video clips of current news.

Once navigon updates their app for the iPad that will be a musthave for turn by turn navigation. The iphone app works fine in the ipad but an iPad version would look a little nicer.

CloudBrowse is a web browser that lets you view webpages that use flash.

and heck while, your at it why not download my own app that I made last year (its free) called BFDeals. This iphone app is for Black Friday so that you can get the thanksgiving sales ads before they are released to the public, and we are getting closer to it. (around 182 days left)

OP
R

robdam1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What apps are available for editing creating Word, Excel and PowerPoint? That is what I would categorize as "basic" apps. Thanks!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What apps are available for editing creating Word, Excel and PowerPoint? That is what I would categorize as "basic" apps. Thanks!

that would be the 3 iWorks apps

Numbers (exel)
Pages (word)
KeyNote (powerpoint)

these are all made by apple and are $10 each.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Office2 is also a good option it’s 6$

Office2HD it’s cost 8$

and Office2Plus it’s free

I use Office HD and i work and both work fine for me , i work allow you to upload in the cloud your file witch can help you some time ...

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would NOT recommend the Apple apps for MSOffice compatibility. It will export OK but you may not be happy with the results if you move stuff back and forth.

I'd wait for Documents To Go. They've been doing Office on PDAs since the Palm Pilot, and have lots of happy customers.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

I would NOT recommend the Apple apps for MSOffice compatibility. It will export OK but you may not be happy with the results if you move stuff back and forth.

I'd wait for Documents To Go. They've been doing Office on PDAs since the Palm Pilot, and have lots of happy customers.

Documents2go is the best... but we are STILL waiting for that iPad update!!! Please, have mercy and update!!! I have used it for years and years, heck since the Palm Pilot days, and now it is even better with dropbox support....

And an off beat app that is "must have" for me is .....

As a Catholic (weak, but I try) I have been using Universalis for about 3 years. The iPad version is just about perfect. Near complete Liturgy of the Hours that is quick and easy to use. I always liked it on the iPod touch and iPhone, but on the iPad it is simply amazing. To folks who don't understand exactly what you are getting the $24 price may seem high... but if you know what all this would cost in paper, you know it is a steal..... I just don't have time to do the whole set of prayers throughout the day, so I just do a few.... but it means a lot, knowing that others throughout the world are joined in common reading and prayer.......

Just goes to show you the many and innovative ways to use an ipad :)
Universalis - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/universalis/id284942719?mt=8

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX HD - for GPS/Mapping especially if you have 3g iPad
Atomic Web - the best browser with tabs (IE8 style)
Beat The Traffic - 'nuff said
ABC Player - shows on ABC network
Filterstorm - great photo editor
Epicurious - for foodies
Dictionary
Jumbo Calculator
Pandora - personalized online streaming music
SportsTap - major sports news
WeatherBug or The Weather Channel Max

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must have read at least a dozen of threads starting "must have..." None of the apps mentioned above are worth even a penny to me. What apps you must have depends on what kind of iPad you have, what you do at work and how you gonna use your iPad. As for me I use iAnnotate (for reading books from PDF, annotating and searching within books via indexed search engine) Pocket Informant, Daily notes, Safari, iCAB (for downloading movies), TextFree, AirVideo and Media Stash.

Most reactions

Latest posts