What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MultiTasking

rominekarte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long do you think until multi-tasking becomes available? They would have to add it sooner or later to keep up with Android.
Hi..
About Ipad i have just seen all the features but didn't get the chance to use so i am looking for it.

Steppenroth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not consider Android and enjoy their crapy system ??

Or maybe develop the device you are dreaming about ??

Nobody force you to buy an IPAD you have to accept the device as is it , not as you dream ... if you have a dream work for make it true ... and stop criticize the one don't made what you are dreaming about ...

That's exactly it though. We know it will be a good device. With the right applications being developed, it could even be a great device. But if we don't provide constructive criticism and voice our opinions, our opinions will never be heard.

I'm not saying that we should only point out the negative points and do nothing but bash it, but I think we do need to organize collectively as early adopters and make sure that Apple knows how we feel and what they can do to make it better.

We owe nothing to Apple for buying their hardware and software. They owe us as consumers and customers to meet us in the halfway and continually evolve the devices they have available to suit our needs better. Maybe not everyone will need multitasking or flash...but wouldn't it be nice to have it as an option? If our voices can motivate Apple to make changes, is it not our responsibility to voice them?

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my iPhones for everything from;
generating PDF documents
creating art
playing games
creating invoices
tracking packages
taking photos while on a call
remote support service with RDP and VNC,
copying pasting from/to and within apps
editing photos
printing documents
pinging clients with running services on a network
streaming videos
listening to music while running other apps
transferring moneys between bank accounts on a call
driving with GPS directions while in a call
surfing web for info while on calls
manipulating data and adding new info to contacts or other docs across apps
and the list goes on.

Oh and I use a bluetooth headset which frees use of the phone even more. I can hear while still using other apps and not worrying about speaker phone and some one else eavesdropping my call.

This is not Multitasking in what way? Most Windows users I see with their desk and laptops in our shop rarely even multitask, most aren't even fluent when even attempting to multitask.. they are typically one window at a time and often do not even know how to properly copy and paste or even minimize or maximize windows. They are typically working in one window at a time fullscreen too.

Its only the users that are avid multitask users, that I would fathom grasping the concept on an iPhone let alone an iPad. They are very happy with one app at a time. I'm not sure if its habit or if it is some failure to conform to the new concepts on most OS since the late 80's, Multitasking.

Some complain they cant slip from within one app move to another and pop back into the one prior.... Im sorry thats exactly what the iPhone 3Gs with its enhanced speed seems to offer. Perhaps they just are not thinking in multi content themes, and are merely wishing small little windows all about their home screen with opened apps and complain about slowness and memory leaks etc. When the only attribute with this concept is multiple opened windows. But for what reason when apps open quickly enough to pop between them as you need them.
Also there is PUSH notifications from apps when the app is not even running, which is all the more better than running the app as a service reducing system resources and overall speed.

Now when it comes to working on a desktop or laptop I am always running multiple apps. but if they opened quickly enough and there was hardly any wait time or auto saving features within each program. I would rather they act as the iPhone and only run what is needed at that given moment. Sounds ludicrous I know, but multitasking is over rated the way people are expecting it to occur on a device like an iPhone or iPad.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Abble, seem's we use the 3Gs as the same way, and it look like both of us ( and many other i am sure) enjoy to have this device and how he work, concerning me i am always in moving in various place from the moment i change my E71 for a 3G i have stop to carry for a short trip my MBP , the Iphone have even more than my notebook i just carry 2 external battery , witch most of time i just need one and everything are perfect for me ...

Many people ask multitasking as it's the only dark point for the Iphone, but if you ask them in witch condition they need a real multitasking no one will have a sufficient reason for need it ....

@ I totally agree with you about the constructive criticism but how many people you see have this kind of criticism just a small quantity can realize they have an excellent device with some weak point will be adjust in time as Apple always do ...

Discussing about really important feature we need i will enjoy to participate, but empty talking about flash , just make me laugh as me or my wife, she use it from the version 1.1 and me only from the 2.0 version use Iphone december 2008 we never miss the flash implementation so for witch reason it will be more necessary for the IPAD

The really necessary function in the ipad we will need is the webcam, a USB port and Reader card (seem's some device will be available soon) yet other than this i cannot see something really important .... for most of our usage

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@AbblePC and IpadOne, is there any other way for a power-user to get very penny of iPhone/iPod-Touch's price tag? While my use isn't quite at that level it is getting there with the iPod Touch.

Where the iPhoneOS needs improvement is in the use of App freeze states and the ability for Apps to pass more then just text and image data back and forth... or be able to retrieve data out of a frozen app state.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is Multitasking ??

@AbblePC and IpadOne, is there any other way for a power-user to get very penny of iPhone/iPod-Touch's price tag? While my use isn't quite at that level it is getting there with the iPod Touch.

Where the iPhoneOS needs improvement is in the use of App freeze states and the ability for Apps to pass more then just text and image data back and forth... or be able to retrieve data out of a frozen app state.

For that we need to wait the 3.3 or 4.0 OS , and see also what function we will have with Iwork,

Concerning the multi tasking in fact Iphone/Ipod touch have it is just some limitation i know this limitation can kill some user but i believe Apple have their reason for don't made it ... they want we have the best user experience possible and based on their success we can consider they are right .... after that some can criticize them because they don't have the device they dream, but for Apple the more important is the majority of their existing and future customer

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad gen 2 is my bet. Apple's ducking the full rewrite needs by doing 3.2 likely with the next gen iPhone release (and will hopefully update iPads and other devices to it as well).

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My solution to multitasking? Multi-iPads....:D

One in the livingroom,
One in the kitchen,
One in the bedroom,
One in the den,
One in the office.

Need multitasking? Bring'em all together...:D

Expensive you say? The total is the same I paid fer my first Mac.

davidangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appleusers.net
I wish the iPad could handle multitasking, but I bet each app will perform better on it's own, so I see why Apple went that route.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitask like window is stone age

I wish the iPad could handle multitasking, but I bet each app will perform better on it's own, so I see why Apple went that route.

I don't wan't Multi tasking like Windoze .... thus just going back in the StoneAge of the electronic device .... and i am sure apple is preparing a way for have a multi tasking but not a multi window

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, isn't that the truth!:D

If I remember correctly, weren't they like $2,500-$3,000ish?

Hey, I paid $4000 for my mac pro...this thing is a steal!!

I don't agree with cart blanche multitasking. Some applications (like pandora and anything that can be experienced without seeing it should be allowed to live in the background (ike itunes) while other applications should state save, like safari and mail. What is really needed tho, is an app switcher. So whichever apps you recently used would pop up on the switcher as if you were still running them and allow for state retrieval on the fly without having to search out the app.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts