What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up to iCloud

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
Got to say a bit peeved with iCloud allowance, you get 5GB if you have 1 device or 20.

Having invested in their ip2 and ip4 both 32gb, surely it makes sense to allow per device not client?

As it is the iPad stole most of 5GB, stopping the iCloud backup after torturous upgrade to iPhone.

TURNED IT OFF!!! And gone back to my 3tb NAS.

You can buy additional storage.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
You can buy additional storage.

I think he/she knows that. It is about fairness, I think. Perhaps providing a separate iCloud ID for backups only would solve the problem. I've already purchased storage but I bet Apple changes this one soon.

It was cool how my PalmPre would back up automatically to a cloud and I never thought about storage.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it's 5GB for nothing.....not sure I would ever complain about that plus your music purchased on iTunes isn't even taken out of the 5GB.

If Apple hadn't given us iCloud then no one would be complaining about it, so we get something for free and it's not enough.....just my 2 cents.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Well it's 5GB for nothing.....not sure I would ever complain about that plus your music purchased on iTunes isn't even taken out of the 5GB.

If Apple hadn't given us iCloud then no one would be complaining about it, so we get something for free and it's not enough.....just my 2 cents.

My iPad used 4.7gb, as you say apps were not counted, so contacts, date calendars and docs etc

Both my devices are 32gb, bought for their capacity, no way was there room left for the iPhone to back up to cloud for the upgrade.

No warning given it just failed to backup after 2.5 hours, not a situation i enjoyed :(

given the torturous time it took I'd happily have pre-paid extra or simply sent it to my laptop or NAS.

If I have to pay for more storage, then it is no longer free, and that entitles me to have good old English moan ;)

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine are taking so long to back up to icloud....ipad says 20 hours remaining and it has been going for at least two hours! Ipod Touch does not even tell me how much longer...still on estimating time remaining! I am thinking it best to just back up to itunes and back up library as I used to.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine are taking so long to back up to icloud....ipad says 20 hours remaining and it has been going for at least two hours! Ipod Touch does not even tell me how much longer...still on estimating time remaining! I am thinking it best to just back up to itunes and back up library as I used to.
It looks like there are still server issues. I'd cancel the backup and try again later. In the meantime, I'd do as you suggest, just perform a standard backup to iTunes.

FWIW it took about 30 minutes, give or take - wasn't watching carefully - for my iPad to backup to iCloud the evening of the 12th. My iPad has about 55GB of files but around 40GB is music and video. The total backed up was a little more than 4GB. Tried it again last night and it took about 10 minutes...but that would have been an incremental backup and not a lot had changed. So what I would expect would take a few minutes tops took a lot longer.

Last edited:

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Backup as often as you feel comfortable. If you honestly don't make any changes for weeks, simply backup when you do. A backup is just a safety net. If worst case scenario your iPad stopped working and had to be restored to factory settings...or even replaced, you can use your backup to restore everything. As long as you're happy with whatever your backup contains if you ever need it, that's all that counts. More here:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

FWIW I'm now keeping a backup of my iOS devices on my computer (via iTunes) as well as one in (on?) iCloud. I won't be religious about the one on my computer...but if anything happened to the one in the "cloud" I'll still have something to fall back on. I have two backups (one on and one off site) for all of my computers as well. I'm a bit retentive that way...although it did save my bacon one time. :)

Well said.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
However you like...you can backup to iTunes or iCloud or both. You can choose which by going into Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup On/Off. If it's off you can continue to backup to iTunes.

With your iPad connected to your computer open iTunes and select your iPad. On the Summary page select which backup method you'd like to use...

To backup to your computer, open iTunes, locate your iPad in the left-hand menu, control-click or right-click on it and click on "Backup" in the menu.

I tried this and received a not enough space error. I'll have to try again.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
Got to say a bit peeved with iCloud allowance, you get 5GB if you have 1 device or 20.

Having invested in their ip2 and ip4 both 32gb, surely it makes sense to allow per device not client?

As it is the iPad stole most of 5GB, stopping the iCloud backup after torturous upgrade to iPhone.

TURNED IT OFF!!! And gone back to my 3tb NAS.

I just figured out that that is what happened to me. My iPhone took most of the space. Live and learn I guess. This is awesome.
Now I need to go through and specify what apps to back up such as comic zeal.
Hmm. This should be fun.

64GB 3G White iPad

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
michali said:

There will be a number of variables which will make it different for everyone.....network speed, Internet speed, volume of data, pressure on servers (expect it to be heavy for a while), etc.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to uncheck photos to back up to cloud and it made all the difference. Decided to save photos somewhere else and just send basic data to icloud.

BobLenx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What gives? When I go into settings iCloud backup, it says "Last Backup: Unknown". Shouldn't there be a date and time? I can manually do a Backup Now and it goes fine, takes about 7-8 minutes, but still doesn't show a day and time. Kinda make me wonder if it actually did anything and if there would be anything there to restore if I ever needed it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BobLenx said:
What gives? When I go into settings iCloud backup, it says "Last Backup: Unknown". Shouldn't there be a date and time? I can manually do a Backup Now and it goes fine, takes about 7-8 minutes, but still doesn't show a day and time. Kinda make me wonder if it actually did anything and if there would be anything there to restore if I ever needed it.
That is odd. How much space does it say is left on your iCloud storage?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

BobLenx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says I have 3.1 GB remaining. And if I go back in to look it says it is loading info on my last backup, and then says Last Backup: Unknown again. So is it actually doing anything?

Sent from my iPad using iPF[/QUOTE]

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says I have 3.1 GB remaining. And if I go back in to look it says it is loading info on my last backup, and then says Last Backup: Unknown again. So is it actually doing anything?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
Well, it sounds like it did backup your info. I'd try turning it off and restarting or resetting your iPad:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If that doesn't do it I'd try doing a normal backup on your computer via iTunes and then try setting it to backup to iCloud again.

Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 6.00.09 PM.png

Most reactions