What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple problems iPad 1st generation using Facebook!

Carperkids

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last month my 2 year old iPad stopped functioning normally when in facebook. Went to Apple store in The Grove, L.A. The technician was awful, in rush & talking down to me, even to suggest i could change my iPad to avoid problems. How convenient! Maybe the only wise thing he said is i should close applications all the time not to interfere with what im doing. This is a hassle but i can do it. Still, when im in facebook, 85% of the time my screen goes blank if i want to post a message not even photos or make comment. Share is easier sometimes. Yet, a headache overall. I have to go to my computer or now a smart phone to use fb and i would prefer my ipad. I'm telling everyone not to trust iPads until i figure out what the problem is. I'm desperate and tempted to buy another tablet and throw my ipad away!

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last month my 2 year old iPad stopped functioning normally when in facebook. Went to Apple store in The Grove, L.A. The technician was awful, in rush & talking down to me, even to suggest i could change my iPad to avoid problems. How convenient! Maybe the only wise thing he said is i should close applications all the time not to interfere with what im doing. This is a hassle but i can do it. Still, when im in facebook, 85% of the time my screen goes blank if i want to post a message not even photos or make comment. Share is easier sometimes. Yet, a headache overall. I have to go to my computer or now a smart phone to use fb and i would prefer my ipad. I'm telling everyone not to trust iPads until i figure out what the problem is. I'm desperate and tempted to buy another tablet and throw my ipad away!

G'day Carperkids. Seems to me to be a silly thing to suggest you get another iPad before the problem is properly looked into, and I agree far from helpful. In some small way this master of customer communications may have been right, although his ability to explain was apparently on par with my cat's.

His undiplomatic advice that included "close applications" is a solution that is known to help where an iPad starts to act "funny". What that means is that you should double-press on the Home button to bring up the bottom row of icons currently in memory as being open for use. Then hold your finger down on any icon until they all start to "wiggle". You should see your Facebook icon there as well. Press the minus signs on all of them and delete them all. You are not losing any apps at all, just clearing them from a congested memory. Then switch off and switch your iPad back on and see how that goes.

Now, if that does not solve the problem another recommended thing to do periodically, particularly if your iPad is sluggish or acting strange, is to do a Reset. This does not harm it in any way but tidies up its RAM and cache.
Do this: simultaneously hold down the Sleep/On and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. The slide-on button may or may not appear, just ignore it. Keep holding patiently, until the white Apple logo appears. Then let go both and then wait, could be a while, until the Home screen appears. Slide the On button and you have reset/rebooted your machine.

Let us know how you got on with the above lot. It's certainly possible that other solutions are available. We've got to try to get you to love your iPad again LOL
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Carperkids...glad you joined us here. As you begin to browse other existing threads you will find that the iPad 1 has ~ half of the RAM than the iPad 2. Since the Facebook website is such a demanding website, your iPad may need to have existing apps closed out in order for Facebook to run. It may be considered a hassle, but a necessary task that is required at this point. Also, not sure if you have tried the FB App, however, that might work better for you.

On another note, your comment to "not trust iPads" may be an opinion for some but not all. Many members are very pleased with their idevices.

By the way...

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Accessories |iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0, 5.1 & 6.0:*
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

OP
C

Carperkids

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks your comments are very helpful. I do clear my apps from a congested memory (your very clear explanation, not the Apple store that believe they are IT, that i go to. THANKS for your time!). Im rebotting/resetting from time to time but it doesn't seems to help. I'll do it again right now. My memory has 56.4 GB available, so i think that's no problem. Should i still shut down or go offline in my skype and not only close the minus sign in its icon? Im grateful for your knowledge and time!

OP
C

Carperkids

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course when I say i dont trust iPads its my own opinion given MY own experience. I dont' sell ipads nor am i married to the product! Your other comments and info are appreciated.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carperkids said:
Thanks your comments are very helpful. I do clear my apps from a congested memory (your very clear explanation, not the Apple store that believe they are IT, that i go to. THANKS for your time!). Im rebotting/resetting from time to time but it doesn't seems to help. I'll do it again right now. My memory has 56.4 GB available, so i think that's no problem. Should i still shut down or go offline in my skype and not only close the minus sign in its icon? Im grateful for your knowledge and time!

Hi there--You're welcome!

I think you are mixing memory up with storage. Your storage seems to be fine as you say with 56.4 gb available. It is your RAM at 256 mb that is the issue. Yes, close out your apps as a routine when not using.

Last edited:

SouffleGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same exact problem with my first generation iPad. I reset on a daily basis and always close apps from the toolbar when done before opening up another app. It always happens when I'm on facebook and try to reply to comments or post a status. I have the 64 GB, with 50.4 GB available. I've literally given up on the constant trips to the Apple Store where the college kid knows about as much as I do with the product. Don't tell me Zuckerberg has declared war on Apple iPads. :(

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

What is happening here is a ram issue, to put it in better context an iPad 1 has 256mb of ram the iPad 2 has 512mb and the new iPads have 1gb. Ram or memory has nothing to do with your storage capacity. All apps use ram to run and the bigger the app the more ram it needs, the same goes for websites, sites that have lots of graphics use more ram. Since the iPad 1 was released, apps have gotten a lot bigger and this is why the iPad 1 will begin to struggle now.

There are steps you can take to alleviate this, as discussed close all apps you are not using completely, limit your location services to the apps you are using now as this task uses ram and clear your Cookies and History in Safari. Settings - Safari - Clear History and Cookies and Data.

I do hope this helps you with this issue.

Most reactions