What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muliple screen images

m2roux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum. I have 1st generation iPad and the screen suddenly lost it's resolution I.e. Everything is faded and you can see images from previously viewed pages showing through. Like writing on onion skin paper and seeing what is underneath. I was on google earth when the screen started this misbehavior. Reset back to factory settings was unsuccessful. Re-booting the OS did not help either.

This is an iPad (model MC774C) 32 Gig with 3G and wifi capability. I am currently using this device while on vacation (away from my home PC to synch anything). My modem firmware is 04.10.01

As I write this message, the fonts are getting fainter and I can faintly see previous word processing in the background.

Bottom line: I think my iPad is not closing previously opened pages (can faintly see previously opened pages in the background with overall loss of resolution).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your display is shot. Looks like you'll have to replace the screen.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you said - reboot- did you mean hold the Home and Power buttons down for an extended time until the white Apple logo appears?

Tim

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just wondering if this ipad was exposed to a lot of sunlight?

OP
M

m2roux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your display is shot. Looks like you'll have to replace the screen.

Thanks for the reply. It is now impossible to navigate my ipad. The screen is totally scrambled with overlapping data. The situation is compounded by the fact that I am on vacation with limited access to a PC. However, I spoke with Apple tech support and the plan is:
1. Synch my ipad data (backup) to my PC when I return
2. Then Restore my ipad through iTunes. If the problem is resolved then consider this a software anomaly. If not, it is a hardware issue = bad news all around. The device is only 4 months old and has soo absolutely no abuse and has been sleeved in a Sena leather portfolio case since the beginning....retained heat issue?

Thanks and I hope you are wrong. Will update later.

OP
M

m2roux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you said - reboot- did you mean hold the Home and Power buttons down for an extended time until the white Apple logo appears?

Tim
Again, thanks for the quick reply. Please see my initial response above re: Apple tech support. And yes, I rebooted the device by simultaneously holding down the Home and Power buttons long enough for a screen change until the white Apple logo appeared. Result was no change in effect. I will followup with my story when I get home in 2+ weeks.

OP
M

m2roux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just wondering if this ipad was exposed to a lot of sunlight?
It`s funny that you asked. At the time my screen went nuts I was sitting on a deck in bright sunlight. The direct exposure was limited simply because of the difficulty seeing the screen properly. I estimate that direct sunlight exposure onto the screen was on/off over 10 minutes at most. My ipad was encased in a leather Sena portfolio case....could that impede heat dissipation and be a contributing factor?

I brought my ipad to show my relatives the photo albums on this trip. Well, maybe next time. Will post a summary of my issue in about 2+ weeks (when I get back home).

Thanks for everyone`s support.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hope all goes well when you get back, but the first thing you need to do, as apple tech told you is this, transfer purchases and backup, and hoping that you already authorized your pc.

when you right click, you see that menu, do transfer purchases and after do backup, so when/if you get a new device you can use that backup from where you left off.

Transfer-Purchases.jpg

got this image from google, this dude have 11GBs of apps on there, i have that much, but not on 1 device!!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions