What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ms office compatibility

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad for school. It's great, I have all my text books on it and can use it for almost anything. But there are some short falls that hopefully can be fixed by purchasing the right apps.

One major issue I'm having is every document from school has to be in .doc or .docx. That's fine for .doc but there is no option to export in .docx format. Also, many times pages omits parts of .doc documents, which means I must double check every assignment on a pc in order to make sure I don't miss anything.

I wish there was an ms office suit for the iPad, but sadly I doubt that will ever happen. But in the meantime can anyone offer ideas on apps that have good ms office compatibility? Because although pages says it's compatible, it only barely cuts it.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
So does QuickOffice. None of them are perfect. I have used Office2HD (which opens but does not save in Office 2007 format and Quickoffice. Both do part of, not all of what I would like to do with Office files. They are getting better, but still not great especially with excel files.

arthurlwf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it true that iWork does not export Numbers sheet to MS Excel format?? or perhaps lousy export.. :confused:

Habry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Highbred8 asked about .docx compatibility. Quick Office Mobile Connect Suite creates, opens & saves docs in that format. It's been transparent & reliable for me.

Plus its file-management interface (nested folders) is the best imitation I've found of a desktop environment. Given that Apple forces these devs to create walled gardens within iOS, I find the suite easy to work in.

Bandi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Highbred8 asked about .docx compatibility. Quick Office Mobile Connect Suite creates, opens & saves docs in that format. It's been transparent & reliable for me.

Plus its file-management interface (nested folders) is the best imitation I've found of a desktop environment. Given that Apple forces these devs to create walled gardens within iOS, I find the suite easy to work in.

Ditto.
I love Quick Office Mobile Connect Suite. It takes my iPad a major leap forward in being my primary mobile work device.

OP
H

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll look into quick quick office. I was hesitant to get any of the office apps since they are a little pricey to just got getting them not knowing how well they work. I keep getting notes on assignments about awkward looking formats and stuff even though I opted to keep a .doc format. Another class of mine only accepts docx formats so I was sol with pages. I'll check out quick office and hopefully it makes iPad one step closer to being my sole workstation for school.

I think it's funny apple pushed this device as the future for students yet has made it so hard for devs to make good office suits and is just now bringing printing as a native option. I love my iPad and iPhone but these little quirks really get me.

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ditto.
I love Quick Office Mobile Connect Suite. It takes my iPad a major leap forward in being my primary mobile work device.

I would concur. I have downloaded QuickOffice and so far it has worked as advertised. I like the integration with Dropbox (which I use for file storage). I used QuickOffice for Palm and for the Dell Axium back in the "old days", so I was comfortable with the program.

So far, I have only done simple editing and composing, and I wish the PowerPoint integration was better, but overall, seems to be the best app in a group in which none will totally meet the needs I have.

Good luck on your search.

OP
H

Highbred8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at both and to me they both had pros and cons. So I asked my wife for a second opinion and she likes documents to go. The selling points were spellcheck, word count and pp integration (I think d2g was the one to have pp) either way, spell check was the big one.

I need it for school and a word processor without spellcheck is all but useless... I mean what, am supposed to look stuff up in a dictionary? Pfft lol.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone using Documents to Go noticed that when a suggested spelling pops up, you cant override it? No matter what I do, it replaces with the suggested spelling and then i have to go back and fix it. In other apps, you can tap the popup to override.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using documents to go premium addition and was able to sync to my work computer porting over all my office 2010 files. I have been able to open and edit them without many issues. I have found that PowerPoint presents better on the iPad saving to a PDF and then syncing to my iPad. It flips your presentation like iBooks.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it true that iWork does not export Numbers sheet to MS Excel format?? or perhaps lousy export.. :confused:

Not anymore -- at least on the iPad. The new version released yesterday will export to Excel.

Qcksilver

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not anymore -- at least on the iPad. The new version released yesterday will export to Excel.

so your saying, just to be sure, the new updated iWork apps can export files in the Office 2007 format? it doesn't mention that in the app store. it only states that it can export in word, excel and ppt format, but doesn't mention what year their office format will save to. know what I mean?

Most reactions

Latest posts