What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS office compatibility

katanella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please i need you help, MS office compatibility

Hello guys, i am planning to buy IPad and trying to confirm an information here as i couldn't confirm from sales person
Can Ipad edit and MS Office sheet and export it in a format which is compatible with MS office. the same for PDF files
please help me as i want to use ipad for work and it will be usuless for me if it can not do that
thanks alot in advance for your help

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Almost all formats that you can imagine, you can view as an e-mail attachment with no additional software required.

Yes it can edit Office files but you need an app for that. To store and view PDFs, there are several ways.

I've used most of the well-known office apps, and the user experience of Pages is by far the best, and I've learned to live with little formatting glitches when switching between formats - although Pages exports PDFs perfectly.

Seriously though, get GoodReader. It is like My Documents for iPad - which otherwise doesn't exist.

jam116

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Documents To Go app and can do some edits.I mainly need use it to review schedules and spreadsheets or word docs...Have made some minor changes but nothing else.

StarLog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't the Mac just recently get the Microsoft Office suite for Mac.?

Any thoughts when this will work for iPAD, or even be ported over.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Failure of MS to create a version of Word and Excel for iPad would be a serious mistake. I would expect them to recognize the need and make a version for Phone 7 and iPad. Maybe even an Android version.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Failure of MS to create a version of Word and Excel for iPad would be a serious mistake.

I'm not certain of that. For one, in terms of market share, the iPad is a pretty small market to chase in relation to the pc market. For another, developing an Office Suite for the iPad would be expensive to do and thus cost a lot, and people expect "apps" to be cheap. Last, the iPad has limited hardware resources, and MS tends towards bloatware - I've real doubts they could make a modern Office version that essentially needs no more resources than Office 3.1 did.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Failure of MS to create a version of Word and Excel for iPad would be a serious mistake.

I'm not certain of that. For one, in terms of market share, the iPad is a pretty small market to chase in relation to the pc market. For another, developing an Office Suite for the iPad would be expensive to do and thus cost a lot, and people expect "apps" to be cheap. Last, the iPad has limited hardware resources, and MS tends towards bloatware - I've real doubts they could make a modern Office version that essentially needs no more resources than Office 3.1 did.

I agree, there is no way for a "real MSoffice" app to make it to the app store. From the profitability standpoint and from the MS will not make apps to sell on the Apple app store..... All that aside like you say...its bloatware and that's something the app testers at Apple don't take to kindly to..:p

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Actually, I don't agree. The market for iPads is bigger than Macs, and Office exists for Mac.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have MS Office Mobile 2010 on my Windows Mobile phone. I would think that they would be able to port that version to ios.

yianniskyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
which app is good for my case? word and power point edit most of the time

Most reactions

Latest posts