What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr. Francis Wilson

Skullvalleyfritz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an Old (89 yrs) an have been a user and etc. of Microsoft operating systems for at least 30 years.
The reason I have joined this forum is to learn as much as possible about the iPad 2. I am not a great fan of the Microsoft operating systems nor the company polices; but this is where I started out.
Recently my daughter purchased an iPad 2, about two weeks later she felt it necessary to purchase the new iPad and gave me the iPad2, now I feel the need to be able to use it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there-Mr. Francis...so glad that you joined us! Loved your introduction to how you came about getting an iPad! You will really enjoy how easy it is to use!

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad (original-New), Acessories, Apps, Help, and Apple News.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5 by Apple Inc.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there welcome to the forum, I am new here but I will try to help. The beauty of the iPad is that it is so easy to use, and there is not much to know.
First of a term you will hear a lot is jailbreaking for you I would not bother with this unless your a technical wizard :) it's mainly for unlocking the iPad to play with third party tweaks that are not apple approved. I'm not sure how much of a novice you are so il run over a few basics.
Apple release updates for the iPad every so often so it's good to stay updated if possible.

So to use this I would suggest reading lots of pages on the forum for little tips to assist you.

But basically all your apps come from the app store by apple if you want a word app search word (top right search bar) in the app store and you can find a number of apps. This iPad is not going to be like using windows at all but simpler and not having lots of folders and directories to use. But you may find many of the program's you have on a pc are not available on the iPad but you may find other apps that do the same job. A few good tips are to delete an app hold the app until it wiggles and an x will appear to delete the app. You also have multi tasking which every app you open stays open until you hold it and remove it from the task bar (double click the round button this will come up) if you wiggle it and delete from the bottom this just shuts the app down and does not delete the app ( only on the app screen does it delete when u press the x)

Many apps are in the app store for free so you should find lots of good apps.

It's easier if you can tell me a little bit about what you would like to use it for and I can help a little more. But in this forum there is a few threads on tips for the iPad so the best way to learn is to read, many people on here don't realise half the tips and tricks til a year later haha

It will come to you relatively quickly and soon you will be able to tell me a few tricks haha

I've tried to offer a few tips to start off but I can give more detail when I know more about what you would like to do but to be honest it's best to just go to the app store and download free apps to get a good feel for it. It's a simple but great machine you will enjoy, and you can get some great support on here but please give a little time for youR post to be answered.
Any questions please ask I check in a few times a day so I will keep you updated as we go along.

By the way I need a daughter that gives me a free iPad I just paid £700 for my version! Haha
Have fun and happy app hunting

Paul

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts