What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moving to new computer, old one dead....

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It may end up that my husband's computer is not worth repairing again. I set his Ipad up on his--dumb, should have just added his to my computer as it also has my Touch on it and we share an Apple acct (though I set up a separate Apple ID for Icloud and Photostream). Now we may add a new computer for him, whether new or my laptop. Everything I can find about moving an Ipad to a new computer has it starting with plugging in and starting with itunes. Since his may be dead, LOL, this may not be possible. So, what do I do to maintain his app and Ibook purchases on his? He has no music.

He has an Ipad 1, 32GB wifi IOS 5.0.1.

Thanks for any help,

Diane

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a better set of instructions, but this is what I have.

If you use different Apple ID's, then I recommend you create a new user on your computer and set up his iTunes library separate from you own using that log in. If you use the same Apple ID (so that you can share all your apps, music, etc) then setting them up in the same library is better, though it may take a while to smooth out the wrinkles.

Apps and iBooks can always be downloaded again, for free. A hassle, but not a big deal. However the content of those apps can and will be lost without care. I recommend making backups of those files (separate form iTunes) if possible.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

iOS: How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimizes photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane B said:
It may end up that my husband's computer is not worth repairing again. I set his Ipad up on his--dumb, should have just added his to my computer as it also has my Touch on it and we share an Apple acct (though I set up a separate Apple ID for Icloud and Photostream). Now we may add a new computer for him, whether new or my laptop. Everything I can find about moving an Ipad to a new computer has it starting with plugging in and starting with itunes. Since his may be dead, LOL, this may not be possible. So, what do I do to maintain his app and Ibook purchases on his? He has no music.

He has an Ipad 1, 32GB wifi IOS 5.0.1.

Thanks for any help,

Diane

If you made a backup of his iTunes account, you can move it to a new computer, apps and all.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say his computer is dead, do you mean his hard drive has failed? If not, remove the hard drive, buy a cheap enclosure (caddy) from somewhere like Amazon, insert his hard drive then boot your computer or his new one from this hard drive, he will then have access as before.

I'm a bit anal about this but it may be a good time to think about an external HD, partitioned for each of your computers onto which you can make cloned back ups in future. That way, should the worst happen, you can just boot from the others computer to access all your stuff.

The Archangel

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to save this page as PDF and tuck it away. Gabriel, my computer has several drives, one of which does exactly as you say--cloned copy, and I live with a stack of externals and one very large one offsite. My husband's computer ls not a crucial one for business but mostly a secondary one in the network. He has two drives because he inherits my old computer when I have a new one built LOL but mostly uses Ipad now. We're not even sure if we will replace it but move him to my laptop.

Nonetheless, I was faced with how to move his Ipad to some other computer. Good info here. We don't know "what" yet--its with my computer guys and I've told them not to push until after the holidays.

Thankd again all.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts