What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

movies

TFarmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you know what format a particular movie is? Also, what is the steps to take? Do I download the ripper onto my laptop PC and do the ripping there then somehow transfer to my iPad? Is there something already written on this I can reference?

Thanks!

Afide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude just use VLC.. it essentially plays every format you throw @ it.

mikephn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find cinexplayer after recent updates to work a bit better than VLC. But what difference does it make really if you can have them both :D

From a Buick 8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My .02$
If you decide to not download.
On a Mac computer.
MTR (Mac the ripper) or Ripit to get the DVD to your hard drive, then Handbrake ( a nightly build) use the Apple TV 2 setting to convert for playback on the iPad ( or apple tv if you like). You then drop drop the file into iTunes or use a tagging program like iDentify 2 (my fav) to tag and add to iTunes for you.

On a windows computer
Use DVD fab to get the DVD to your hard drive , then follow the same HB and iTunes info as above.

iph0ne27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake.
I also recommend setting the same resolution to lower so you can sync with both iphone and ipad equally. I recommend 480x320 on picture setting at 90% quality and instead of h 264 set at mpeg. These settings reduce the file size as well no reason to have a perfect 1.XX GB file when u can have 500mb to 700mb file size.

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I ask why many of you are using a ripper before using HandBrake?
If you load the disk, set it as the source, it is all you need.
I will say that I have just started using HB, the current release, and have only ripped 10 or so DVD'd but I have had zero issues. I use the iPad setting, but bump the RF to 19

Tim

From a Buick 8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will say that I have just started using HB, the current release, and have only ripped 10 or so DVD'd but I have had zero issues. I use the iPad setting, but bump the RF to 19

Tim
It is nice to rip several lot the he'd and then run them through HB as a group using the que.

You also will run into some DVD's that HB can not crack.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never could understand HB, it just never seemed to work, maybe I will try again, I have been using magic dvd copier then another to put the VOB files together, then another to change it to ipad format lol It would be faster and easier to download all the movies, but if you already own them why would you want to pay for them all again just to use on ipad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never could understand HB, it just never seemed to work, maybe I will try again, I have been using magic dvd copier then another to put the VOB files together, then another to change it to ipad format lol It would be faster and easier to download all the movies, but if you already own them why would you want to pay for them all again just to use on ipad.

Handbrake only works on DVDs that aren't copy protected. You have to use another program to rip the DVD and then use handbrake to convert the files to mp4

peterbus

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Have a look at . www.magicdvdripper.com.not free but I've used for years

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or just get Netflix on ipad, watch thousands of movies instantly...OR just jailbreak ipad and get unlimitedvideo. Allows downloads of movies straight to ipad without need of itunes. I hates having to use itunes. Also cydia app, Ifiles is great because it lets u have access to ipad internal files. Therefore u can download apps like Cinexplayer, VLC player or whateva, and transfer files to appropriate sectiin using Ifiles. Thats how i did it. A very easy workaround not needing itunes or being chained to desktop/laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts