What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monitoring/retrieving web history

Chess46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I am needing to know how to monitor history or retrieve deleted history from the ipad. I do know how to see the sites visited by going to settings/safari/advanced/web data but what I am looking for is what has been viewed from those sites the same way the history bar is. I need the page visited and the pages viewed from clicking links on the site. I have heard you can monitor the ipad web traffic from a desktop computer or lap top but I am unsure of how. I connect to the internet on my ipad using a netgear router and I also have access to a d-link router as well. I am able to view logs from the netgear router but all I see are the actual page visited or an IP address. Could someone tell me how to do this or what software I should use?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If history is deleted off the iPad, it's gone from the iPad. If it were not that way then there would not be much point in having the delete option. I can imagine the screams of privacy advocates if they found out that the data they deleted (or prevented from being stored) were actually still there and easily accessible.

Web Data is something different than history. This is the data that a specific web site/domain stores on the iPad for the use of that website. It is mostly cookies, but can be other data as well, usually from javascripts that let you edit text or perform other tasks in a website. If it is deleted or prevented from being saved (private mode) then like history, it is not retrievable. By design it is not supposed to be retrievable, again as support for privacy.

Some routers can and do save save logs of web sites visited and what devices visited them (usually by MAC address). However this has to be enabled on the router and viewed in that router's logs. You'll have to check your router's user manual and/or support site for specifics.

You go on to say that you are only seeing websites and IP addresses visited. This is normally all you can see, even in history. I'm not sure what else you are expecting. You visit a website (URL) or IP address and that information is displayed on your screen. I'm not sure what more-specific data you expect to be stored in a history log.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, it was the wrong Forum and as your question isn't related to Hacking/jailbreaking, I have moved it to our Help Forum where more members will view it.

All fine and good luck with your quest!

Most reactions

Latest posts