What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Keypad

Edsel62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the last couple of days I have had this problem. When I awaken my iPad the box for my pass code appears, but I can't get the keypad to come up to allow me to enter the code. Usually a reboot will get it back but sometimes even then I have to play with it a while to get the keypad to appear. I've currently disabled my passcode for fear I won't have a way to unlock. Anybody else had this problem? Any solutions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have your iPad paired with a Bluetooth keyboard, make sure the keyboard is turned off, or that you have turned off Bluetooth in your iPad settings.

The touch keyboard will be hidden by default when the iPad detects a paired Bluetooth keyboard.

The unpredictability of the issue is usually a matter of how close the keyboard is to the iPad. Bluetooth only works within 40 ft, at best.

If your physical keyboard has an eject key, this can sometimes be used to raise/lower the touch keyboard; in case you need a symbol or feature that's easier to access that way.

OP
Edsel62

Edsel62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem has not recurred today. But when I was having the problem my Bluetooth keyboard was sitting in my travel bag nearby. I'm willing to bet you are right and that the keyboard got turned on accidentally.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem has not recurred today. But when I was having the problem my Bluetooth keyboard was sitting in my travel bag nearby. I'm willing to bet you are right and that the keyboard got turned on accidentally.

Yep, I believe that TP has the explanation - when we travel, I carry a BT KB and occasionally cannot pair it to my iPad - immediately check my wife's Mini and discover that her BT is on and had already paired w/ the KB - drove me nuts until the answer became apparent. :) Dave

Most reactions