What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Files - Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased Apple's "Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader" for my iPad Pro 10.5 and have conducted some tests. I started out by copying 393 files from my camera SD card to my desktop computer just like I always have. I then plugged the SD card into the iPad adapter and told it to import all of the pictures. I then connected the iPad to my desktop computer and examined the files imported. It turns out that 3 files were not copied to the iPad. I repeated the experiment 3 times and the same 3 jpg files were missing from the import each time. They occurred in random spots and were not sequential. There was nothing special about the missing pictures. They were just like the pictures on each side of them in the sequence, shot within seconds of each other. I compared the 390 files that were successfully imported to my reference copies and they compared perfectly. Is there any particular reason that the iPad would skip importing particular jpg files?

dave_bass5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cant help with this specifically, but for me I always get the first image file on the SD card not imported if I select import all. I now tend to leave at lest one old image file on the card.

By the way, just in case you try the beta of IOS11, the SD card reader doesn't work at all with it at the moment.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cant help with this specifically, but for me I always get the first image file on the SD card not imported if I select import all. I now tend to leave at lest one old image file on the card.

By the way, just in case you try the beta of IOS11, the SD card reader doesn't work at all with it at the moment.

Thanks for the information. One of the files that failed to copy WAS the very first one. But the other two seemed to be in random places. I will probably hold off with any sort of iOS updates until after my Europe trip in September. I don't want to break anything before the trip. I already have one app that hasn't been updated in a while that I use frequently and it has a couple of problems with my iPad Pro, but I can work around the problems. I don't want to create any more problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe they were close enough in time that the iPad decided they were bursts, pictrures taken in rapid sequence. There is a dedicated folder for Bursts under Albums. It's probably easiest to check there.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe they were close enough in time that the iPad decided they were bursts, pictrures taken in rapid sequence. There is a dedicated folder for Bursts under Albums. It's probably easiest to check there.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks, but there were no burst pictures. I will just have to keep this in mind as I accumulate more pictures. I have run out of ideas for experiments for the moment.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly, it feels like some kind of software bug to me.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, it feels like some kind of software bug to me.
Yes, I agree, since all of the files that it did copy were copied perfectly. So I am pretty sure the adapter is not at fault. I will just have to wait and see if future updates address the situation. Does Apple monitor this group, or should I post a bug report directly to Apple?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, since all of the files that it did copy were copied perfectly. So I am pretty sure the adapter is not at fault. I will just have to wait and see if future updates address the situation. Does Apple monitor this group, or should I post a bug report directly to Apple?
This forum has no connection to Apple and it is not monitored by Apple. If you want Apple to know about your problem it’s best to contact Apple directly. You should still be covered under the 90 days of free telephone technical support included with the standard warranty.

Most reactions